PDA

View Full Version : Notice anything different?

ShodanjoDM
May 28th, 2008, 05:51 AM
Take a look below (click to enlarge):

chinchilla2392
May 28th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Tabs :o

FuturePilot
May 28th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Took me a while.
But I've got to know how and where can I get it? :D

zmjjmz
May 28th, 2008, 05:55 AM
want.

chinchilla2392
May 28th, 2008, 05:55 AM
Took me a while.

i got it straight away ;)
no idea where to find it.. lol..
im not too bothered.

FuturePilot
May 28th, 2008, 05:57 AM
i got it straight away ;)
no idea where to find it.. lol..
im not too bothered.

Hehe. The funny thing was I was staring at them for almost a whole minute before it hit me. they were right in front of my face:shock:

swoll1980
May 28th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Take a look below (click to enlarge):

I want some! Give me tabs please. Are you just teasing me or what?

ShodanjoDM
May 28th, 2008, 06:27 AM
Took me a while.

If you don't mind compiling from source, you can get it. But beware however, that this feature is still in development although it's already usable. It's originally intended for GNOME 2.24 in next September.

Before you start, you might want to read this article (http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/05/27/gnome-file-manager-gets-tabbed-file-browsing) first.

Aside from the usual build-essential, you'll need subversion:

$sudo aptitude install subversion

For the dependencies (needs source repositories enabled in sources.list iirc):

$sudo apt-get build-dep nautilus
$sudo aptitude install gnome-common

To make it tidy and organized, I always make a Download/Subversion directories in my home folder, so here's my preference:

$cd ~/
$mkdir -p Download/Subversion
$cd Download/Subversion

And then pull all the sources:

$svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/nautilus/branches/multiview nautilus-multiview

However, you need to uninstall nautilus and nautilus-data first. In my case, I have successfully removed them that also automatically removed nautilus-cd-burner and nautilus-sendto packages. I don't know if it's the same with the "ordinary" Ubuntu installation since I'm using Ubuntu Studio.

Do let me know if it also affects other packages in your installation before pressing enter:

sudo apt-get remove nautilus nautilus-data

Then the usual dance:

$cd nautilus-multiview
$./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
$make
$sudo make install

PS: if you want to disable tracker/beagle integration, you can use this in the ./autogen.sh stage:

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr --disable-tracker --disable-beagle

Thanks to ryanhaigh (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=506606) for his excellent howto (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4524368) about removing beagle & tracker integration.

You'll need to log out, but before that, rename/remove .nautilus directory in your home folder. I took a "safer" approach by just renaming it:

mv ~/.nautilus ~/.nautilusx

Don't worry, the .nautilus folder will be automatically created after you log in again.

After that log out and log back in.

Caution: In my case, after I finished installing the "new" Nautilus, aptitude informed me that there are several uneeded packages that it wants to remove. Two of them are gvfs and gvfs-backend. I don't want any of them to be autoremoved, so I fired up Synaptic, located the said packages and unchecked "Automatically Installed" mark under Package menu.

EDIT: Added missing dependency (gnome-common)

quinnten83
May 28th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Will this be available in the next Gnome release, because then I'd just as soon wait. I can compile but I use my machine to be productive so I don't like to mess about with it.

zachtib
May 28th, 2008, 06:44 AM
I'm guessing he's not using nautilus?

ShodanjoDM
May 28th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I'm guessing he's not using nautilus?

It is Nautilus :D

ShodanjoDM
May 28th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Will this be available in the next Gnome release, because then I'd just as soon wait. I can compile but I use my machine to be productive so I don't like to mess about with it.

Yup. As written in ars-technica article, it's planned for Gnome 2.24, with atleast another new feature (small icon view) as well.

zachtib
May 28th, 2008, 07:23 AM
It is Nautilus :D

Ok, NOW I'm interested...

8.10 is gonna rock

Ebuntor
May 28th, 2008, 01:42 PM
If you don't mind compiling from source, you can get it. But beware however, that this feature is still in development although it's already usable. It's originally intended for GNOME 2.24 in next September.

Before you start, you might want to read this article (http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/05/27/gnome-file-manager-gets-tabbed-file-browsing) first.

Aside from the usual build-essential, you'll need subversion:

$sudo aptitude install subversionFor the dependencies (needs source repositories enabled in sources.list iirc):

$sudo apt-get build-dep nautilusTo make it tidy and organized, I always make a Download/Subversion directories in my home folder, so here's my preference:

$cd ~/
$mkdir -p Download/Subversion
$cd Download/SubversionAnd then pull all the sources:

$svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/nautilus/branches/multiview nautilus-multiviewHowever, you need to uninstall nautilus and nautilus-data first. In my case, I have successfully removed them that also automatically removed nautilus-cd-burner and nautilus-sendto packages. I don't know if it's the same with the "ordinary" Ubuntu installation since I'm using Ubuntu Studio.

Do let me know if it also affects other packages in your installation before pressing enter:

sudo apt-get remove nautilus nautilus-dataThen the usual dance:

$cd nautilus-multiview
$./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
$make
$sudo make install

You'll need to log out, but before that, rename/remove .nautilus directory in your home folder. I took a "safer" approach by just renaming it:

mv ~/.nautilus ~/.nautilusxDon't worry, the .nautilus folder will be automatically created after you log in again.

After that log out and log back in.

Caution: In my case, after I finished installing the "new" Nautilus, aptitude informed me that there are several uneeded packages that it wants to remove. Two of them are gvfs and gvfs-backend. I don't want any of them to be autoremoved, so I fired up Synaptic, located the said packages and unchecked "Automatically Installed" mark under Package menu.

I do run into a few problems.
I use Hardy and when I enter "sudo apt-get remove nautilus nautilus-data" not only will nautilus-cd-burner, nautilus-data etc be removed but also ubuntu-desktop.

When I try to run "./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr" I get the message: "You need to install gnome-common from the GNOME CVS".

Bungo Pony
May 28th, 2008, 01:56 PM
It's about bloody time they started implementing that!

However, I'll wait until it's officially released to get it.

visionaire
May 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
you mean this? we have this centuries ago :lolflag:

Kernel Sanders
May 28th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Want!!!!

idn
May 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM
could someone post a deb or it? looks awesome....

ShodanjoDM
May 28th, 2008, 03:09 PM
I do run into a few problems.
I use Hardy and when I enter "sudo apt-get remove nautilus nautilus-data" not only will nautilus-cd-burner, nautilus-data etc be removed but also ubuntu-desktop.

When I try to run "./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr" I get the message: "You need to install gnome-common from the GNOME CVS".

The ubuntu-desktop package is only a meta-package. It helps in installing all of the standard ubuntu packages. I think it's safe to remove if it's the only additional package as you mentiononed above.

Oops sorry, you'll need to install gnome-common package first.

sudo aptitude install gnome-common

I'll update the instruction soon.

Anyway, I would like to remind everyone interested in this once again:

This feature is still in development so although I found it usable, but your mileage may vary. Proceed with caution.

ShodanjoDM
May 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM
you mean this? we have this centuries ago :lolflag:

Yeah, a much needed but long delayed feature in Nautilus...

Makes me wonder whether it'll be a wiser move if GNOME dev team drop Nautilus - and redirect its development efforts to PCManFM - or not
:lolflag:

ShodanjoDM
May 28th, 2008, 03:23 PM
could someone post a deb or it? looks awesome....

I tried making it wit checkinstall, but ran into some problems when i tried installing the .deb package. So sorry :(

I need to start learning to make 'proper' debian packages soon.

quanumphaze
May 28th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Does the new one support multiple wallpapers? I remember someone mentioning they were making it.

I miss my desktop icons.

Else can I make PCManFM do multiple backgrounds (Properly or letting Compiz do it by drawing a transparent BG). FYI PCManFM draws the desktop too.

Gourgi
June 10th, 2008, 03:20 AM
Does the new one support multiple wallpapers? I remember someone mentioning they were making it.
i tried that but no support yet
maybe it is develloped in a different branch :confused:

LightB
June 10th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Hmm... something that's been in Konqueror since forever. Now I hope Thunar copies this.

EnigMattic
July 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Word to the wise:
After following this guide, Nautilus opened by default in the spacial rather than browser mode if tried with items from the 'Places' menu or folders on the desktop.

To resolve this, simply open Nautilus and Edit-->Preferences-->[Behaviour], then check the 'Always open in browser windows' box...

Ta-da! :-)

Now if only there was a button to open a new tab...

EnigMattic
July 14th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Ok, new problem...
Clicking or right-clicking on .iso files causes Nautilus to crash and restart :-(

nycste
July 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM
great thread just showing my support, im still learning how to compile simple programs so compiling something so big isnt for me ill wait lol

more views and tabs are a huge plus, and hopefully some other goodies

anyone know if you can allow nautilus in list view to show

currently
file.name 10MB

to instead say like in windows
file.name 10000KB give or take a few

TBOL3
July 26th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Wow, I hope canonical does what it did with firefox, and puts it in the next version, if not, let's hope getdeb will have it (I can't for the life of me track all of the dependencies to compile from source).

Methuselah
July 26th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Aren't there some window managers (I think compiz and fluxbox) taht support 'smashing' windows together into tabs?
With that you can emulate tab functionality missing from apps quite well.

Tomosaur
July 26th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Ok, new problem...
Clicking or right-clicking on .iso files causes Nautilus to crash and restart :-(

EDIT: On closer inspection, this seems to happen with any file that nautilus needs to work out what type of file it is (i.e: everything except directories).

I can't imagine the nautilus devs have screwed up this badly, so for now I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and see whether I've simply missed some compilation option.

EDIT 2: Screw it, I'm going back to old nautilus :P

BackwardsDown
July 26th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Wow, I hope canonical does what it did with firefox, and puts it in the next version, if not, let's hope getdeb will have it (I can't for the life of me track all of the dependencies to compile from source).

The current version of Nautilus in Intrepid (Alpha 3 of the next version) has tabs.