PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] issues when isolinux falls back to classic boot menu

Lardarse
May 28th, 2008, 04:45 AM
When booting from an Ubuntu CD on an older machine, sometimes the graphical menu will fail to load, and instead you will be presented with a simple screen with the *buntu logo on the screen, a few lines of text, and a "boot:" prompt (otherwise known as the normal isolinux startup screen). By pressing the function keys, you can bring up additional information, but none of these screens tell you how to check the integrity of the CD, meaning that it is not immediately apparent (if not impossible) to do this. there is a way to do it with "alternate" CDs that have the-text-based installer (select back at the first available oppourtunity, and then scoll down the menu to find the required option.

Also, when booting the ubuntu-8.04-alternate-i386 CD this way, it mentions that a text-only install is possible by entering "cli", but this is not available on the CD. I have not tested this with earlier releases. Is a text-only install still possible from the alternate CD?

jrusso2
May 28th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I believe the text install is the main selling point of the alternate cd

Lardarse
May 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM
No, what I was refering to was this:

To install only the command-line base system, type 'cli' then ENTER.