PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu ranking in PC world 100 best products means quality falling?

say2sky
May 28th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Here is ranking of Ubuntu in past 4 years

year ranking version
2008 90. Ubuntu 8.04
2007 16. Ubuntu 7.04
2006 27. Ubuntu 6.06
2005 26. Ubuntu 5.04

Now Ubuntu is my only OS used and I indeed found 100% CPU usage happens more and must reboot to let CPU usage back to normal.

I hope Ubuntu become better for each new version in quality.

kansasnoob
May 28th, 2008, 05:03 AM
Ranking by who?

My 8.04 is stable as hell and it's so fast it almost gives me whiplash!

And that's on a simple 1.5 GHZ VIA cpu w/IDOT MOBO ............ basically the guts of a wally-world green PC w/ 2gb of RAM.

You'll have to pry my Ubuntu from my cold dead hands!

say2sky
May 28th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Ranking by who?

My 8.04 is stable as hell and it's so fast it almost gives me whiplash!

And that's on a simple 1.5 GHZ VIA cpu w/IDOT MOBO ............ basically the guts of a wally-world green PC w/ 2gb of RAM.

You'll have to pry my Ubuntu from my cold dead hands!

The 100 Best Products of 2008 by PC World

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,146161-page,12-c,electronics/article.html

drkameleon
May 28th, 2008, 05:36 AM
I'm running on a amd64 Ubuntu 8.04 and I must admit I have never(ever...) used such a stable OS as this one... (even though 64-bit version are generally thought of us "buggy"...)

iaculallad
May 28th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Software ranking does not matter, what matters is the satisfaction an individual can get on using that software.

bikeboy
May 28th, 2008, 05:42 AM
I would put this purely down to the novelty factor wearing off. Good and accessible Linux desktop distros were arguably new a few years ago, now they're commonplace. That fact has hit home in the last 12 months, but has only now been reflected in the list..not that the list really means anything.

oedha
May 28th, 2008, 06:27 AM
why they ranked on 8.04 ? which just born....
why not 7.10 ? hmmmm.......
btw.....what am i talk about ? :)

say2sky
May 28th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Thanks for all your info. I am glad all your confirming that Ubuntu quality is rock. It let me not worry for it much.

Now the problem I met is that when I use mplayer, firefox and do tar or rsync for my system backup or installing other Ubuntu version in another parition, every time the CPU will be used 100% and it cannot go back to normal after the backup. I have tried to logout and relogin but cpu usage cannot fall to normal so it force me to reboot my system. :(

During other situation I should say I have same satisfaction with new version.. :)

say2sky
May 28th, 2008, 06:37 AM

I think each year PC world have this ranking at almost similar time, they are for the new version. :confused:

bufsabre666
May 28th, 2008, 06:56 AM
you want to talk about quality falling, PC world used to be great, now its okay at best

ma_nkooo
May 28th, 2008, 07:04 AM
yea where is 7.10? i am using it right now. :(

swoll1980
May 28th, 2008, 07:17 AM
No MS Vista. Go figure.

bufsabre666
May 28th, 2008, 07:21 AM

I think each year PC world have this ranking at almost similar time, they are for the new version. :confused:

yea where is 7.10? i am using it right now. :(

if you click the link next to 90. ubuntu linux, the one that says review, takes you to a review of 7.10 not 8.04

RiceMonster
May 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Software ranking does not matter, what matters is the satisfaction an individual can get on using that software.

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself.

tribaal
May 28th, 2008, 07:28 AM
XP is number 4.
PC World just lost the little credibility it had left...

- Trib'

id1337x
May 28th, 2008, 07:41 AM
I don't see any logical order to that list.

say2sky
May 28th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I think people have arguments about this ranking just like any other ranking. I still hope Ubuntu will win a higher ranking next year. :guitar:

swoll1980
May 28th, 2008, 09:14 AM
That article was probably written based on the opinion of one man. In my opinion his opinion is as worthless as my opinion in your opinion.

wersdaluv
May 28th, 2008, 11:51 AM
I think, the problem is with your install. Probably, reformatting will fix that but I am not sure.

As for PC World and the trend of Ubuntu's performance in their ratings, you can't really rely on that. First of all, not everything PC World states is absolutely true. Second of all, maybe, there may just be more non-OS tech products that made it to their list this year.

jimbreslauer
May 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Here's an explanation of the thinking behind the list from the PC World editor who compiled it: (You'll find it in the comments that follow the list.)

Looks like there's some confusion here about our Best Products of 2008 story. As the editor of the story, let me explain a couple of things:

First, our list isn't meant to be a ranking of the best products released during 2008 -- if it were, we would wait until the end of the year to do it, obviously. I can see how the title of the feature could have suggested otherwise.

The story is a ranking of the tech products that have done the most good for the most people since we did this ranking 12 months ago. The products that were the most fun, offered the most productivity gain, or the ones that made everyday stuff easier. People across America have been digging on the utility of their iPhones during the last year, so it made the list. Some people stayed in better contact with friends using Facebook. It makes the list. Hulu simply works, and is a harbinger of what TV will be like in the future. It makes the list. And so on.

Anyway, I hope this helps and thanks for reading. -Mark

So the order in which products are ranked isn't supposed to say anything about their relative quality, only about their relative significance (in the editor's opinion).

Novega
May 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Here's an explanation of the thinking behind the list from the PC World editor who compiled it: (You'll find it in the comments that follow the list.)

Looks like there's some confusion here about our Best Products of 2008 story. As the editor of the story, let me explain a couple of things:

First, our list isn't meant to be a ranking of the best products released during 2008 -- if it were, we would wait until the end of the year to do it, obviously. I can see how the title of the feature could have suggested otherwise.

The story is a ranking of the tech products that have done the most good for the most people since we did this ranking 12 months ago. The products that were the most fun, offered the most productivity gain, or the ones that made everyday stuff easier. People across America have been digging on the utility of their iPhones during the last year, so it made the list. Some people stayed in better contact with friends using Facebook. It makes the list. Hulu simply works, and is a harbinger of what TV will be like in the future. It makes the list. And so on.

Anyway, I hope this helps and thanks for reading. -Mark

So the order in which products are ranked isn't supposed to say anything about their relative quality, only about their relative significance (in the editor's opinion).

So Windows XP has done a lot of good for people since PC World did this ranking last year (enough to merit the #4 position)?? How so? SP3?

I'm not a Microsoft basher, it's just that I still don't see their explanation of rankings as legitimate.

nebu
May 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM
how is microsoft windows xp anywhere close to the top..........

i have had to format my pc four times since jan this year bcoz windows gets screwed up

rsigrest
May 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Windows XP is number 4. This list is fail.

Tundro Walker
May 28th, 2008, 02:59 PM
you want to talk about quality falling, PC world used to be great, now its okay at best

LOL! Beat me to it.

Plus, every magazine on the shelf has an agenda. They're usually owned and published by product companies. Even when they aren't, they're usually slanted in some fashion.

They probably got "new toy syndrome" when Ubuntu first came out, and gave it an over-inflated score, then down-graded the score as things go on to a more realistic score. At least they're not acting immature by making Ubuntu sound like the best thing since sliced bread in 2005, then totally ripping on it in 2008.

vishzilla
May 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Firefox was number 1 a few years back, now its on 21. Doesn't make sense, IMO FF3 is way better than version 2 and 1.5

This list is more of a personal perspective, another PC magazine will rate differently. I don't follow these rankings, its a pure gimmick.

toupeiro
May 28th, 2008, 04:06 PM
Hulu as number 1 of a top 100 list??! please... Its a good site and all but give me a break.

Sand & Mercury
May 28th, 2008, 05:00 PM
how is microsoft windows xp anywhere close to the top..........

i have had to format my pc four times since jan this year bcoz windows gets screwed up
Because it's the de facto standard OS for the casual user that has yet to be topped in widespread acceptance by even its successor. Makes sense to me.

I honestly don't understand all the Windows bashing. Most of the time, the problem with Windows lies 18 inches from the monitor, nothing to do with the OS itself...