PDA

View Full Version : The only thing that ruins my Linux experience now is Flash.

hotweiss
May 28th, 2008, 12:39 AM
The only thing that ruins my Linux experience now is Flash. You could have a Pentium 10,000 and it will not be powerful enough to power a full screen Flash video. And if a page is has tonnes of Flash content it's almost impossible to scroll through. I tried Flash 10, and the problem persists. What is the problem here?

LaRoza
May 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM
The only thing that ruins my Linux experience now is Flash. You could have a Pentium 10,000 and it will not be powerful enough to power a full screen Flash video. And if a page is has tonnes of Flash content it's almost impossible to scroll through. I tried Flash 10, and the problem persists. What is the problem here?

Flash works for me for what I do. The Flash player for Linux isn't as good as the other ones. Adobe needs to get with it...

A page shouldn't have tons of Flash content.

jrusso2
May 28th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Seems like a lot of these flash Issues are specific to Ubuntu. I have not had them on other distros

Joeb454
May 28th, 2008, 12:51 AM
*Goes to change his webpages to 100% flash*

On a more serious note - It's very rare that flash doesn't work when I need it too. The only issue I've noticed is on xbox.com when I want to use a drop down menu

qazwsx
May 28th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I have quite large adblock list in Konqueror. Combined snd modified lots of filters. Not really huge problem for me. Lots of work though :(

It is very annoying when someone links youtube player on website instead of text based link (which can be played in external player through some scripts :)).

steveneddy
May 28th, 2008, 12:54 AM
That's funny. I don't have any Flash issues. I use FF 3.0b5 and Hardy, upgraded from Gutsy.

There are many threads about Flash and getting it to work correctly, I just wonder if you did any searching about this before you posted this thread?

I used this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=772490&highlight=fix+flash+hardy) when I started having Flash issues recently. It's for 64 bit, but you could make sure that you have the same packages installed if you are 32 bit.

-grubby
May 28th, 2008, 12:55 AM
*Goes to change his webpages to 100% flash*

I have effectively prevented you from doing this by calling the web standards police. They're coming over to your house soon

wdaniels
May 28th, 2008, 01:01 AM
The only thing that ruins my Linux experience now is Flash.

+1 Flash is the only thing that I have problems with anymore. Besides the general sluggish performance, I find it quite unstable through nspluginwrapper on my 64bit desktops, and the lack of support for V4L2 means I need a really ugly hack (flashcam) to get any video from my Eee PC's webcam.

Joeb454
May 28th, 2008, 01:04 AM
I have effectively prevented you from doing this by calling the web standards police. They're coming over to your house soon

Damn!! I would've got away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids!!

bufsabre666
May 28th, 2008, 01:05 AM
damn!! I Would've Got Away With It Too If It Weren't For You Meddling Kids!!

Rubby Rubby Rooo!!

cardinals_fan
May 28th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Flash works great for me.

teet
May 28th, 2008, 01:20 AM
The original poster is NOT asking how to install flash. He is simply pointing out that the performance of flash video in linux sucks...and I agree.

If I download a H.264 test clip video and run it full screen at 1680 x 1050 I only use about 40% of my CPU power. If I try to watch a tiny video clip on youtube, my CPU is at like 80%. I can't watch it in fullscreen because it maxes out my CPU and is really choppy. Why is flash the standard for web video? It has terrible performance...why didn't a more efficient plugin become standard?

-teet

BTW: I'm running a 3.06 ghz Celeron D, 1 Gb DDR-400 ram, 256 mb NVIDIA geforce 6200. By no means a "power system", but it should be able to play a freakin video!

cardinals_fan
May 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM
The original poster is NOT asking how to install flash. He is simply pointing out that the performance of flash video in linux sucks...and I agree.

If I download a H.264 test clip video and run it full screen at 1680 x 1050 I only use about 40% of my CPU power. If I try to watch a tiny video clip on youtube, my CPU is at like 80%. I can't watch it in fullscreen because it maxes out my CPU and is really choppy. Why is flash the standard for web video? It has terrible performance...why didn't a more efficient plugin become standard?

-teet

BTW: I'm running a 3.06 ghz Celeron D, 1 Gb DDR-400 ram, 256 mb NVIDIA geforce 6200. By no means a "power system", but it should be able to play a freakin video!
My system is very similar, and Flash videos play fine in Opera.

strabes
May 28th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Had the same problems, installed gnash. Have 0 problems now.
sudo aptitude remove flashplugin-nonfree && sudo aptitude install mozilla-plugin-gnash

teet
May 28th, 2008, 01:25 AM
My system is very similar, and Flash videos play fine in Opera.

Go to http://www.hulu.com and try to stream a video at full screen resolution.

One difference may be that I'm running at 1680 x 1050 resolution.

-teet

FuturePilot
May 28th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Flash always eats my CPU, freezes and crashes my browser. Though Flash 10 isn't quite as CPU intensive as 9, but it's still way more than it should be. I haven't had any browser freezes since using Flash 10, but I have had a few complete browser crashes. Still, the Linux version of Flash is crap compared to other versions. Adobe really needs to put more effort into the Linux version.

-grubby
May 28th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Flash always eats my CPU, freezes and crashes my browser. Though Flash 10 isn't quite as CPU intensive as 9, but it's still way more than it should be. I haven't had any browser freezes since using Flash 10, but I have had a few complete browser crashes. Still, the Linux version of Flash is crap compared to other versions. Adobe really needs to put more effort into the Linux version.

I totally agree with this. +1

ghindo
May 28th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Flash 10 fixes some of the problems in Flash 9, but is still in beta and far from perfect.

I really hope the Gnash project (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/) takes off soon. There really needs to be a FOSS alternative to Flash. I tried Gnash a little while back but it's definitely still a project in development.

madjr
May 28th, 2008, 02:30 AM
the only thing we can do is spam the adobe bug site with Votes u lazy baboons!

:)

see my sing

geoken
May 28th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Seems like a lot of these flash Issues are specific to Ubuntu. I have not had them on other distros

Wrong. The open source app is never to blame (or so these forums have led me to believe). When I installed Hardy and was getting pink shadows, I was promptly instructed that it was the fault of the closed source nvidia drivers and not an issue with Ubuntu itself.

BrokeBody
May 28th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Adobe needs to get with it...

I think that Adobe doesn't really care about Linux. :-k

madjr
May 28th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I think that Adobe doesn't really care about Linux. :-k

they don't care about the OS, they just care that u got it installed in your browser.

the problem is they don't have enough developers working on the linux port.

swoll1980
May 28th, 2008, 05:14 AM

I also have the extreme slowdown problem when I go full screen. I use the screen magnifier as a work around seems to accomplish the same thing, and works pretty darn good too

hotweiss
May 28th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I also have the extreme slowdown problem when I go full screen. I use the screen magnifier as a work around seems to accomplish the same thing, and works pretty darn good too

LOL, That's actually a good idea.

madjr
May 28th, 2008, 11:05 AM

i use compiz zoom

FFighter
May 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769906

Please, vote.

The post above should be sticky, moderators please help!

corney91
May 28th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I feel your pain. I was showing off compiz to a friend and he thought Linux was awesome, but then he wanted to show me the flash game 'last stand 2.' Epic slowness when shooting :(

Kosimo
May 28th, 2008, 02:56 PM
I'm having the same bad experience with Flash (even beta 10) And as said, sometimes scrolling a webpage with more than two flash becomes a very difficult and slow-systembreaking task.

I hope that this get fixed soon guys..

hotweiss
May 29th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I'm having the same bad experience with Flash (even beta 10) And as said, sometimes scrolling a webpage with more than two flash becomes a very difficult and slow-systembreaking task.

I hope that this get fixed soon guys..

I just upgraded to Flash 10, and it is an improvement.