PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything hypocritical about Linux users flocking around MSN?

SomeGuyDude
May 27th, 2008, 11:50 PM
The threads about emesene and all that got me thinking. It's weird that people on here treat MS like the devil, but it seems like their messaging service is more popular than AIM from the ways it's discussed on here.

And don't get me started about alla you anti-MS crusaders on Xbox Live! :lolflag:

bufsabre666
May 27th, 2008, 11:54 PM
yes it is a tad hypocritical, but it honestly the msn messenger is prolly the most full featured messenger there is, granted none of the linux versions are exactly the same as the original but they all carry alot of the functions. but i am not an anti microsoft crusader, i infact love windows

hanzomon4
May 28th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Nope

original_jamingrit
May 28th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Most of my friends use msn. My using the msn protocol through pidgin doesn't benefit MS at all, and it doesn't require me to use any closed sourced binaries. So I'm cool with it.

sub2007
May 28th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Personally I don't see a problem with it but then I'm not a Microsoft hater, I'm completely impartial about Microsoft and although I try to use FOSS wherever possible and encourage others to, I have no problem using a Microsoft product. I don't hate Windows, I just prefer Ubuntu.

TBH though I see no other way around it even if I did want to use an open source protocol and I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way. With IM it's not really which messenger is the best, it's which one do most of your friends use. That's the only factor in picking one for me. All my friends use MSN and if you want to use Instant Messanging (which TBH I don't use a lot but I do occcassionally to keep in touch with friends seeing as it's free and convenient) then you have to use the protocols that they use. And in the UK the most common protocol is MSN, at least with my friends, and so that's what you have to use. I don't know anyone who has an account that ISN'T MSN (except of course the Google Talk and social networking based chats). I could never encourage all the people on my MSN contact list to switch to an open source protocol with the excuse "well I don't like Microsoft and so I refuse to use their protocol".

And it's not like Microsoft make any money from me using emesene.

boomtisk
May 28th, 2008, 12:37 AM
Last time I checked you didn't have to be a Microsoft hater to use Linux, I might be wrong, though. :p

Funnily enough I've always hated MSN due to the pain in the butt that is the official client with its annoying ads and ugly looks. I always liked Yahoo Messenger better because it seemed less intrusive, even when they decided to add ads to it as well they didn't seem as bad as the ones in MSN.

gsmanners
May 28th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I'm not against Microsoft. I'm against the fact that they are allowed to flaunt their illegal monopoly without fear of consequences. If Microsoft makes a better mousetrap, then I'm all for buying it, but the thing is that their products are far less compelling with a few exceptions maybe (like MSN).

EdThaSlayer
May 28th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I use MSN, but only because many of my friends use it and since I can do webcam and voice chat in it!

klange
May 28th, 2008, 01:41 AM
It's reasons like this that I made my own protocol (full featured client is forthcoming). I use MSN because all of my friends use MSN. I still use Pidgin, so I don't get all the features of MSN, but I don't use any of them. I'm trying to remedy this with my protocol by adding video chat, etc. to it and making a full featured, easy to use, easy to install, and highly customizable client - all under GPL.

Kaohuz
May 28th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I guess not. People use MSN or any other IM because they "need" it in order to chat with friends/family.

Dr Small
May 28th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Yes, it is hypocritical. I still use it somewhat, but I prefer Jabber better. I do not like windows, and am moving away from MSN.

madjr
May 28th, 2008, 02:24 AM
if all my most closed friends used jabber, i would use that instead of msn.

the best thing i can do is tell them to use emesene in windows instead of the official client.

some do, but others "need" some stupid animations n dumb stuff... so they staying with the official one >.>

amingv
May 28th, 2008, 03:32 AM
#ifndef _MY_OPINION_
#define _MY_OPINION_
IMHO it's not, I see nothing wrong with compatibility/portability; in fact this is one of the areas in which FLOSS owns MS the most.
Saying that using emesene (or other clients) is hypocritical would be saying the same about OOo's ability to open .doc and .xls or that using SAMBA/WINE is wrong or that portable languages such as Python and Java are wrong.
#endif

Bubba64
May 28th, 2008, 03:41 AM
The threads about emesene and all that got me thinking. It's weird that people on here treat MS like the devil, but it seems like their messaging service is more popular than AIM from the ways it's discussed on here.

And don't get me started about alla you anti-MS crusaders on Xbox Live! :lolflag:

Hypocrisy is in the eye of the judger. Personally I have never used MS except at college to down load the readings in a specific course that I can not leave the office with. I like to occasionally follow the beat MS to curry social acceptance. All of this recognizing the grip on the worlds neck MS has.

ladr0n
May 28th, 2008, 03:52 AM
I don't see it being any worse than using AIM or Yahoo.

I guess I'm lucky... most of my friends use google talk. :cool:

John T. Monkey
May 28th, 2008, 08:44 AM
It's a tool to talk to people. Nothing more than that.

I do use it, again because all my friends do, and I've had my account on thre for years (literally).

If my friends jump to a different protocol, I'll do the same...