PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to adjust display brightness

FFighter
May 27th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Hello,

I'm running Hardy on an HP dv6648SE laptop for some months and never really felt the need to adjust the brightness, but it seems my eyes are getting more sensible to the light as I spend more uninterrupted hours in during the night working to pay the bills :P

So, I would like to know how to could I adjust some display attributes such as brightness, contrast etc. I know it is possible because Ubuntu decreases the brightness when I unplug the battery :)

Thanks,

Marcelo.

blakegrover
May 27th, 2008, 10:55 PM
You can right click the panel at the top of the screen and click "Add to Panel" and then choose the brightness applet. If Ubuntu detects how to change brightness then you can adjust it with this applet. My dell function keys work also, so maybe the keys that adjust it in windows work in ubuntu as well. For example my dell the key to lower/increase brightness are Fn+Up and Fn+Down

Blake

FFighter
May 27th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Thanks blakegrover! Worked like a charm.

I'm still wondering about other display attributes such as contrast, gamma, etc. I used to have access to these functions on XP on my desktop which had a Nvidia GeForce 5900 video card. They were accessible via a nivida control panel, so I suspect it is specific to the driver being used. This laptop has a integrated intel graphics accelerator... is it possible to control these settings somehow?

blakegrover
May 27th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I know the drivers from nVidia and ATI let you do this, my wife's laptop has an intel video card and I haven't found anything yet to do adjust the color levels.

Blake