PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using Firefox 3.0 in 8.04

richg
May 27th, 2008, 09:58 PM
I have an issue with Firefox. When I open another browser window, where is the first window? I have been using Linspire/Freespire for nearly three years and up to Firefox 2.0. When I would click on another browser, at the bottom of the display, I see what browsers are open. It is my way and has worked fine up to now. Using 8.04 I see no indication. If I click on the minus option, the browser goes away and I cannot get back the window I was using.
I cannot find any indication even if I have three Firefox windows open. If I open O.O, there is no indication of any browser being open. I have to close O.O. or at least hit the minus sign. Really confusing. Thanks.

Rich

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Not a problem of Firefox. You have somehow removed your Window list applet.

Right click on the panel and select "Add to panel"
From the list add "Window List" applet.

shifty_powers
May 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM
not sure i understand. do you not have a bottom gnome panel?

richg
May 27th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Thanks, I had three O.O. documents open and six brosers open. I am surprised Ubuntu does not make this a default item.

Rich

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 10:06 PM
This is a default item in ubuntu.. You might have closed it (ie. removed it from panel).
Please mark the thread as solved.

stchman
May 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Thanks, I had three O.O. documents open and six brosers open. I am surprised Ubuntu does not make this a default item.

Rich

It is, an open tasks area is standard.

richg
May 27th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I guess not. At the bottom left is a panel with Aplications, Places, System, Firefox Icon, Question Mark Icon. Over to the right side is My User name, Icons for connections, Date and time, plus an Icon to stop or restart.
At the top of the display is an orange bar tlling me I am using Firefox 3.0.

Rich

richg
May 27th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I guess I will do a new install. This is very different from anything I have used before.
I keep all my data on an external Firewire hard drive.

Rich

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 10:17 PM
What would you install now? ;)

Paqman
May 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
You don't need to reinstall just to change how the desktop is set up.

From what you've described somebody has customised your desktop. You can simply add the window list to either panel, or even add a whole new panel and add it to that.

richg
May 27th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Ubuntu 8.04 of course.

Rich

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 10:29 PM
No need of reinstalling. Believe me, it's really a minor problem. You can add as many panels as you like by Right clicking on a panel and selecting "New panel". Then you might add as many applets to it as you like. Just right click on any panel and click "Add to panel". Just select what you want to add, press Add button. If you don't like it, right click on it and select "Remove from panel"
Just play around with everything for sometime and this will all seem very comfortable and customizable. :)

richg
May 27th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Ok, I did a new install. I see the panel now. I must have deleted it some how. I am the onlu person using the PC. MY stepson has his own XP PC and has no use for Linux.
I have another Firefox question but I will start a new thread. Thanks for the help.

Rich