PDA

View Full Version : I may file a complaint to comcast after this...

smartboyathome
May 27th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Ok, so I have comcast internet at home, and I did some ISO downloading over the weekend (wanted to try Fedora 9 and OpenSuse), So I downloaded the i386 and AMD64 versions of each overnight friday. Then, yesterday, I tried to play Tremulous on my Arch (desktop) box, and found that I couldn't get any servers! For some reason it was blocked. I went over to my laptop (which runs Ubuntu), and also couldn't get it to load any servers, either. So I have come to the coclusion, based on an article I read about them limiting everyone on residential internet to 2 gigs download, that because of my downloading (not even torrenting), I am blocked from playing Tremulous. :(
[/end or rant]

-grubby
May 27th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Why are ISPs allowed to do that? Did your Comcast plan mention something like this happening?

smartboyathome
May 27th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Not that I know of. I guess I will find out when I call them if there is a limit to this kind of stuff. :(

uknowho008
May 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
i want to drop comcast soon. they seem to be throttling ftp and everything else as well.

Paqman
May 27th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Being cut off could be a blessing in disguise, at least financially. Generally ISPs charge pretty eye-watering fees for any usage above your cap.

Icehuck
May 27th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Ok, so I have comcast internet at home, and I did some ISO downloading over the weekend (wanted to try Fedora 9 and OpenSuse), So I downloaded the i386 and AMD64 versions of each overnight friday. Then, yesterday, I tried to play Tremulous on my Arch (desktop) box, and found that I couldn't get any servers! For some reason it was blocked. I went over to my laptop (which runs Ubuntu), and also couldn't get it to load any servers, either. So I have come to the coclusion, based on an article I read about them limiting everyone on residential internet to 2 gigs download, that because of my downloading (not even torrenting), I am blocked from playing Tremulous. :(
[/end or rant]

I have Comcast and I have moved about 5 gigs of data over bit torrent this weekend. I'm still able to hop on Xbox live and download the Grid Demo. Think you might have another problem.

smartboyathome
May 27th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Ok, I just got off the phone with them, and they said they don't shut you down, they just send out the comcast police. Looks like there is a common problem with Tremulous, or perhaps a port is being blocked somewhere. :(

-grubby
May 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Ok, I just got off the phone with them, and they said they don't shut you down, they just send out the comcast police. Looks like there is a common problem with Tremulous, or perhaps a port is being blocked somewhere. :(

Noes!!! :( :cry:. I hope it gets better

phaed
May 27th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Comcast will be selling some of its cable systems in Maine, Kentucky, Louisiana, New Mexico, Virginia, Georgia, West Virginia and California. Hopefully I will be in one of those markets. Good riddance.

warbread
May 28th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Or you could hire a hitman... or in this case, a "hit-little-old-lady". (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/17/AR2007101702359.html?hpid=artslot)