PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to make an ISO image

oscarthefish
May 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I want to make an ISO image of Windows XP so that i can transfer the OS onto another of my computers and then dual-boot with Ubuntu. Will have to be a program that is compatible with Windows. Help anyone please.

quelx
May 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I believe
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=~/Desktop/WindowsXP.iso will get you an iso file Your CD drive might be named differently (cdrw/dvd/or the like)

KingTermite
May 27th, 2008, 08:37 PM
If you mean making an ISO image of the window just like it is, it won't work. First of all it takes up more space than a disc (probably even a DVD). Secondly, I think it takes more than a straight copy of the file....that won't do things like setting the MBR to be bootable and such I don't think.

You need some image software. Unfortunately, there isn't any free imaging software in Windows that I know of. I've used Acronis True Image before and it works well. It's probably $30 or $40 though. The other big one is Norton Ghost, but I avoid Norton products like the plague these days.

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 08:39 PM
To create an XP image, insert the XP setup disk, open Brasero, select Disk Copy and set the destination drive as "File Image"

Lord Xeb
May 27th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Just get a XP install disc from a friend or co-worker, find the product key for your current install, an try to install it on your new machine. If it says "Invalid key", call up M$ and ask them for a new key. They will ask what your product key is, give it to the them, then they will say it is already installed on a machine, tell then no it isn't, your doing a reinstall and you will get a new key. Solved. Install and your done. Also, make a copy of the disc you barrow, that will save some time and effort.