PDA

View Full Version : System specs in your signature poll

cisforcojo
May 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
How many of you mention your system specs in your signature? ... and why.
:)

notwen
May 27th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Not I. Don't see the point of it, one could always simply ask for system specs if they wanted someone else's specs. Plus signatures should be used for more useful info like funny quotes or ignorant people's opinions. I suppose signatures could be used for providing useful information as well. =]

bufsabre666
May 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM
i mention my my main systems specs, the system im using now is different

gn2
May 27th, 2008, 08:20 PM
There are much more useful things to put in a sig.....

Freddy
May 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
As you can see I don't use my system specs in my signature, I use mine to promote 'Enlightenment17' and OzOS which is a Ubuntu based Enlightenment17 distro.

I have asked myself this question to on several times, why do some people use their system specs within their signature? Is anyone even interested in other peoples system specs? Okay sometimes it can be useful to answers someones post but that rarely.

wootah
May 27th, 2008, 08:42 PM
To op: You should make a poll. I would be interested in the results :popcorn:

Aside from that, I never really saw the point. The same thing goes with those rediculous looking banners that say the person's 'netname' with some silly looking anime, etc. I think it's much more useful to point to topics and everything related to the forum on which you are posting, imo.

lswest
May 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I have it in my sig mainly because I had extra room, but I will probably just remove all the specs and leave "HP DV6545EG" in there (my laptop that is my main computer). Probably will do so after i write a few more how-tos that I'll link to.

*EDIT* and away they go :P

Lord Xeb
May 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
;_; I don't have a new system. If you want to know what mine is, just look up specs for an IBM T43 Model 2669. I wish I had a new rig D:

Anduu
May 28th, 2008, 05:10 AM
there Are Much More Useful Things To Put In A Sig.....

+1

cardinals_fan
May 28th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I hope my specs don't look like that...

tuebinger
May 28th, 2008, 05:32 AM
I just put my specs in my sig because I saw other people did it. Now I'll have to think of something else to put down there!

swoll1980
May 28th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I used to have my hardware, and specs in my sig. When ever I had an issue, and posted a question however, the first response I would get was usually what's your specs, or what kind of video card are you using. This led me to the conclusion that not to many people actually read the sig, so I switched it.

jrusso2
May 28th, 2008, 07:36 AM
I got like ten PC's here. Which one would I put in my signature? The best one? Maybe I am most proud of the old ones that I still make useful?

lisati
May 28th, 2008, 07:47 AM
The good guys might find the specs in the sig interesting, but wisdom is called for: we don't want the reputation of Ubuntu (or Linux in general) to be sullied by misuse of the specs by a wise guy.

smoker
May 28th, 2008, 09:55 AM
allow your system some privacy!

lisati
May 28th, 2008, 10:14 AM
The good guys might find the specs in the sig interesting, but wisdom is called for: we don't want the reputation of Ubuntu (or Linux in general) to be sullied by misuse of the specs by a wise guy.

Exactly!

Scruffynerf
May 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Whenever I posted for help, invariably the first response or two was "What is your hardware?"

So it ended up in my sig. Saves time

Sand & Mercury
May 28th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I don't like having a sig; sigs seem to detract from the content of the post somehow for me. No one surely cares what my specs are anyway :lol:

mtron
May 28th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

you are concerned about privacy and voluntarily register yourself with a number ?

hellion0
May 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I've got five machines. I can't fit the specs for all of them in my sig. Instead, I still have a "public service announcement" of sorts in it.

tuebinger
June 5th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Specs are gone! I've decided to go with a funny Linux quote. :)

elmer_42
June 5th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Yes, I have my system specs in my signature. Yes, it's overpowered for Linux, but it's lightning fast, especially with Openbox + PyPanel.

-gabe-noob-
June 5th, 2008, 05:10 AM
especially with Openbox + PyPanel.

<3 Openbox+PyPanel+Conky