PDA

View Full Version : [Career Guidance] Should my friend learn SAP?

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
May 27th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Hi,I'm from Hyderabad, India.

I was speaking to my friend ( he is about to enter into the final of Engineering in Computer Science) in the Engineering College, and he asked me whether learning SAP is useful/necessary for him. Since, I'm from Electronics stream, I said that I would not be the write person to guide him regrding this topic. I mentioned that I would post his query in Ubuntu Forums, and hopefully he'll get the answer.

Interests of my friend: Hacking (Windows), Computer Security, Databases.

Hobbies( not required to judge the query): Being friendly, making fun of a few silly class guys, running behind girls

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
May 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Not even 1 reply???? I thought Ubuntu Forums was a community, where we help each other. Then how come not even 1 person has given their suggestion??

piousp
May 28th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Maybe you didnt wait enough?? Anyway, as far as i can see, he wont be interested in SAP, whether or not its useful to him, its far beyond my ability to judge.

boomtisk
May 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Well at least over here (Germany) SAP is pretty common but I must admit I don't know about India or wherever your friend is planning to work. I had to use it while working for a company that makes switchgear and stuff and while it did seem pretty archaic in appearance, I didn't really have any problems using it. Just use a few key shortcuts and the arrow keys, no big deal.

However, when talking to the guys I worked with, none of them claimed to be an expert at it, the all knew how to use the functions that were related to their specific job and nothing else, which made me wonder: perhaps the system is that complex so that you can't really be an expert on the entire system? Maybe your friend ought to do an internship at/work for a company that uses it instead of trying to "learn" it all by himself?

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
May 29th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Maybe you didnt wait enough?? Anyway, as far as i can see, he wont be interested in SAP, whether or not its useful to him, its far beyond my ability to judge.
what made u say he wont be interested in SAP?? he himself said, he would learn it if it would b useful for his career.

Joeb454
May 29th, 2008, 08:25 PM
I think you need to calm down a little. It's quite hard to give careers advice at the best of times, let alone on the internet.

My advice would be to look at what kind of things employers are looking for - and learn things around that, it can't hurt :)

d.kusummmanth@gmail.com
May 29th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Well at least over here (Germany) SAP is pretty common but I must admit I don't know about India or wherever your friend is planning to work. I had to use it while working for a company that makes switchgear and stuff and while it did seem pretty archaic in appearance, I didn't really have any problems using it. Just use a few key shortcuts and the arrow keys, no big deal.

However, when talking to the guys I worked with, none of them claimed to be an expert at it, the all knew how to use the functions that were related to their specific job and nothing else, which made me wonder: perhaps the system is that complex so that you can't really be an expert on the entire system? Maybe your friend ought to do an internship at/work for a company that uses it instead of trying to "learn" it all by himself?
thx for such a detailed reply. i'll definitely convey this to him, when i meet him tomorrow.

I agree that u might hv no idea about INDIA, the way I don't know much about Germany. In India, most engineers learn (computer) courses which help them in obtaining ( software) jobs. 95% of Indian engineering gaduates go to work in the software mainly because it is the highest paying and is considered to be the "in" thing. So, in order to enhance the skills we go to computer training centres, where we learn these courses along with our studies. We are forced to do this, since our engineering is too theoretical and outdated!!!

aliannahfth
September 10th, 2009, 11:30 AM
hi,

has anyone bought the training videos on www.sapjuice.com (http://ubuntuforums.org/www.sapjuice.com)?
is it worth buying? please advice....

Thanks,
Alian

amitjk826
September 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM
hi,

has anyone bought the training videos on www.sapjuice.com (http://ubuntuforums.org/www.sapjuice.com)?
is it worth buying? please advice....

Thanks,
Alian

yes i would suggest you to buy this videos