PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Which updates should I check?

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I have got all four: Important, recommended, pre-released and unsupported updates checked. Can having all of them checked cause any problems? If yes, that which ones should I check simultaneously?

overdrank
May 27th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I have got all four: Important, recommended, pre-released and unsupported updates checked. Can having all of them checked cause any problems? If yes, that which ones should I check simultaneously?

HI and this may help
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuUpdates

Het Irv
May 27th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Important and Recommended are good for a computer that is working and you don't want it to mess up. These updates have been checked over and approved for release. Pre-release are the Pre-release versions of the Important and Recommended updates, you just get them sooner, and they may not be stable.

I have all four checked on my testing partition, because I don't care if it blows up. But I only have Important and Recommended checked on my regular partition.

phoenix_abhi
May 27th, 2008, 06:09 PM
first two is required. Unsupported updates are 90 % useless and which contains (most of the time) support for Graphics cards, Bluetooth etc
Suppose u have a Intel Card but there is update for ATi, Nvidia etc which is not required, but always shows in update manager. I installed so many updates earlier for the hardware which I do not have, due to checking the unsupported updates. After unchecking it, no update for last 2 weeks

sayakb
May 27th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks. I live at a college hostel where I get limited internet. I just get the opportunity to download huge data when I'm at home during vacations. So naturally I don't want my system to be unstable. To be very sure of that, I have unchecked the pre-released and unsupported updates.