PDA

View Full Version : Almost but not quite

Naglfari
October 23rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
I've had Ubuntu on my newer desktop pc for about a week now, and just finished putting it on my laptop yesterday. It works fantastic in both. But, my DSL modem/router from Alltel insists that it has to have windows XP for setup. So, my 5 year old, previously retired desktop is sitting in the corner, running XP and loaded with Antivirus, firewalls and bug-hunters (freeware versions), basically just as a control panel. There is probably a way to get around needing XP, but I'm a long, long way away from being that proficient. :( I'm am MORE than happy with Ubuntu.

Edit: Forgot to mention..XP is only needed to make actual changes to the settings....so most of the time its shut down and neglected, poor thing.

xequence
October 23rd, 2005, 04:36 PM
I dont know if it will work, but you could try running XP in vmware.

mike998
October 23rd, 2005, 04:37 PM
This really does sound odd to me.

It may be that your ISP just doesn't support linux. If it is designed to work exclusively with XP, the that's a bad design decision - what happens if you decided to switch to a MAC, or had to install windows 98?

Naglfari
October 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Honestly, I think (by no means certain though) that the XP requirement is strictly for the software required to set up the modem/router. Once it was set up, it has supported any computer with an ethernet card that we've plugged into it. I think, just for giggles, that I will try running the software like you said. Couldn't hurt....too much..:D