PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome apps don't obey umask

laliebijard
May 27th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Hello.

I'd like to set up a folder shared by several users (I want newly created subdirs to have permissions rwxrwxr-x). So I put umask 002 into /etc/profile and reboot. Command mkdir works well in shell, but folders created by Nautilus (or other Gnome programs) have permissions rwxr-xr-x.

I found some info about bug in gnome-vfs http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=327249 which should have been fixed.

Am I doing anything wrong? Can anyone reproduce or disconfirm this behaviour?

I have ubuntu 8.04.

wattana
June 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Hi man.

I have the same issue in my office. I've installed Ubuntu migrating from fedora due the promise of stability...

It's true, but the nautilus umask ignore "feature" is terrible... I have to manually change all permissions...

I've created a bug report in bugzilla, but no one have taked it yet.. or marked as confirmed... or nothing...

It's a nasty bug if you use gnome in your office with a few users...

Hope someone can fix it...

Sorry about my bad english...

Regards!

ranamalo
September 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I had the same problem. I resolved it by creating the file .gnomerc in my home directory with the appropriate umask command. I wanted to have nautilus create directories with the permissions owner=rwx group=rwx and others=rx. So what I did was:
cd /home/user
vi .gnomerc

then in this file I put:
umask 002

save that and restart the session. I believe all GUI programs should now use the umask 002. Hope this is helpful to someone