PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do System76ers like the glossy screen?

swarup
May 27th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I am looking at purchasing a System76 laptop. Perhaps the Serval. I've been using the same laptop for the last 10 years--a Gateway 9300-- and it has a matte screen. Which I like and have never had any problem with-- but I've been to Bestbuy to check out how the new laptops are and I must say, these glossy screens are eye-catching.

Looking around the web, people seem to have love-hate relationships with them. Some say they are the greatest thing on earth and much clearer than the matte screen; and others say they (glossy screens) are irritating to the eye, full of reflections, and give one a headache. From what I can tell, gamers tend to prefer the glossy screens. And business people seem to prefer the matte screens.

I do virtually all word-processing, spending 9-11 hours per day on the computer. Mostly word-processing, but also a fair bit of web browsing. And no gaming.

I note that all the laptop screens sold by System76 are of the glossy type, and would like to know how customers (or users of other glossy screens for that matter) find them to be. Particularly for non-gaming applications: word-processing, data bases, spreadsheets, and also web browsing.

steveneddy
May 27th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I don't game and I prefer the glossy screen.

farruinn
May 27th, 2008, 10:39 PM
I own a Serp4 and the screen doesn't appear to be that glossy to me. I find the glossy screens I've seen on other laptops to be quite annoying but my screen is very bright, clear, and easy to read without the annoying reflections.

EDIT: re-read your post and should point out I find it good for both gaming and non-gaming uses. Most of my non-gaming time is spent browsing the web or editing text and spreadsheets.

mobius357
May 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I don't like the glare on glossy screens, much less of an issue on a matte screen.

farruinn
May 27th, 2008, 10:56 PM
After reading this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5057546#post4941860 it seems it can go back and forth without notice.