PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] internet video problem and compiz fusion

Falc7
May 27th, 2008, 01:15 PM
When i turn on the compiz fusion desktop effects it seems to disrupt most of the videos i watch online. For example, if i go to watch a fullscreen movie in veoh player in firefox, the video seems to have an extreamly slow refresh rate, the video jutters a lot, even though the video has finished streaming.
It dosen't effect videos i have downloaded.
Is there some way to fix this? Could it be a video card problem? I have quite an old video card, a ATI Radeon RV100 QY.

Also, another problem i have is that the tracker search tool dosen't seem to be working quite right, i have a file called earth ont he desktop, but it says it can't find any file with earth in. If i type in songbird, it finds several different files, but when i click on the left pane to see them, nothing shows up in the main window.

Het Irv
May 27th, 2008, 05:23 PM
The problem you are having with the videos is more likly related to Flash. Unfortunatly Adobe doesn't support Linux nearly as much as it does Windows or Mac, so Linux's version of Flash is very crappy. Just to make sure, have you tried disableing Compiz just to see if that is the problem?

I don't know about the tracker, I usally have it turned off. Have you look though all of the settings just to make sure nothing is set weird.

Falc7
May 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM
Yep disabling compiz does dolve the problem, i was just hoping i could have compiz and watch videos at the same

How do i look at the search settings?

Het Irv
May 28th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Yep disabling compiz does dolve the problem, i was just hoping i could have compiz and watch videos at the same

How do i look at the search settings?

System -> Prefrences -> Search and Indexing.

markbuntu
May 29th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Firefox 3.0 fixes a lot of this problem with compiz and flash so when the update comes, get it. You can also try checking Undirect Fullscreen Windows in the CompizConfig Settings Manager or Advanced Desktop Settings but until you get Firefox 3.0 you will have these problems.

In any case, if you are using a large (>19inch) monitor you will have these problems in full screen. If you are using the ATI driver 8.4.... 8.5 has some improvements for 2D which speed things up considerably.

Flash 10 also makes a big difference or so I have heard.

So hang tight, help is just around the corner.