PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Re-upgrading - Simple question, big problem!

jannen
May 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Hi all, Please need desperately a simple answer (and directions if possible). :)

I upgraded to 8.04 from 7.10. However something went wrong in the installation process and I cant start Ubuntu anymore (get to the logon screen but Ubuntu doesnt accept all letters in my laptop keyboard, not managed to get around this).

I had partitioned my hard drive (100G) in three:
1. Windows 2000, 2. Ubuntu, 3. photos/mp3 storage etc.

Can I re-install Ubuntu 8.04 and just replace the badly installed one, without loosing Windows and my photos/mp3's?

Thanks!!!
Janne

sturmvogel
May 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM
I have a similar problem. I am dual booting Win2K with the 8.o4 version from fresh installs of both systems. It dual boots fine, but when I turn the computer off for the night, the startup hangs after the login screen. Furthermore, I can't get the liveCD to work afterward either, including a Fedora liveCD. I tried the safe options for starting and the associated fix buttons, but nothing works. I can use Win2k without incident---just Ubuntu won't load or any other version of Linux that I tried from a liveCD.

I dual booted on my laptop that has Vista without any trouble at all. Is there a problem with Win2K and this kernal version? By the way---I am not a techie, so any console fix is like a foreign language to me.

jannen
May 28th, 2008, 02:22 PM
In the partitioning screen Im given two options: the first one is the clean install on whole harddrive, or the manual one. In the manual, do I need to delete somer partitions (I have ntfs partition for Win2000, fat32 and ext3 for ubuntu...) ?

Help appreciated!!! Thanks