PDA

View Full Version : [POLL]Should Ubuntu be a priced OS because of its value?

@_R_|\/|_@_G_E_|)_|)_0|\|
May 27th, 2008, 09:27 AM
I have been thinking about not managing Ubuntu and getting it to work harder than me but about Ubuntu itself. Thinking about it my mind wandered to how popular it was to have its own forum and realized that it was free! Then I got thinking... are people so into Ubuntu that they are ready to pay for it?

So. What is your opinion? Answer freely and openly as I really just want to see how popular and liked publicly Ubuntu is.

MaximB
May 27th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I have been thinking about not managing Ubuntu and getting it to work harder than me but about Ubuntu itself. Thinking about it my mind wandered to how popular it was to have its own forum and realized that it was free! Then I got thinking... are people so into Ubuntu that they are ready to pay for it?

So. What is your opinion? Answer freely and openly as I really just want to see how popular and liked publicly Ubuntu is.

This question is so hypothetical that it shouldn't be asked at all.
Ubuntu is FREE and will always remain FREE.
There is already a GNU/Linux distribution based on Ubuntu that actually costs money (and it's Mark's).
If Ubuntu would cost money then MANY users would leave it or pirate it.

RedHat costs money , is it really valuable ?
If you are a desktop user so the answer is "NO" , there are many other distos which are more suitable for this task.

May 27th, 2008, 09:44 AM
There is already a GNU/Linux distribution based on Ubuntu that actually costs money (and it's Mark's).
If Ubuntu would cost money then MANY users would leave it or pirate it.

:confused:There IS a priced Ubuntu?! Wow. Woopsey-daisey then. Didn't know that. And about if Ubuntu would cost money then users would leave or pirate it that is exactly what I meant.

Sukarn
May 27th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Hang on, when did Mark put out a version of Ubuntu (or a derivative) for sale?

If you're talking about the commercial support and applications that he sells, then your point is null and void and it does not count as a different OS.

loell
May 27th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I think you just need some reading. before making polls and such.. :D

this is a popular topic in the past, that it is so boring to choose the very obvious..

so I urge you to vote yes it should be priced for a change :)

lisati
May 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM

There is a retailer in my area who has Ubuntu 7.04 for sale on DVD (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/483bcac20906bf8e2740c0a87f3b06c3/Product/View/XC4146) (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/483bcac20906bf8e2740c0a87f3b06c3/Product/View/XC4146) and it also lists v6.10 as a "clearance product". As well as that, I've seen a couple of Fedora distros.

I think Ubuntu should continue to be free - as long as there are enthusiasts there will be a way of keeping it freely available.

loell
May 27th, 2008, 09:55 AM
There is a retailer in my area who has Ubuntu 7.04 for sale on DVD (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/483bcac20906bf8e2740c0a87f3b06c3/Product/View/XC4146) (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/483bcac20906bf8e2740c0a87f3b06c3/Product/View/XC4146) and it also lists v6.10 as a "clearance product". As well as that, I've seen a couple of Fedora distros.

I think Ubuntu should continue to be free - as long as there are enthusiasts there will be a way of keeping it freely available.

but they are selling the media, not the OS,
its not uncommon.

Sukarn
May 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
but they are selling the media, not the OS,
its not uncommon.

Agreed.

The license allows people to copy the discs and sell the media.

irrdev
May 27th, 2008, 10:02 AM
The entire Debian philosophy is to remain free, as according to the free software foundation's standards. Linux distros that cost $$$ are usually, but not always, red-hat/slackware based. In the Linux world, everything should remain free, unless you are offering something perhaps truly unique and proprietary. Such an example would be Novell's SLED, which includes licensed feature additions from Microsoft. That said, Novell still offers and support Opensuse, for free! The entire point of Linux and open source is to remain free; pricing a product simply due to its popularity defeats the entire purpose of Linux and Ubuntu.;)

billgoldberg
May 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM
From the ubuntu.com front page

The Ubuntu promise

* Ubuntu will always be free of charge, including enterprise releases and security updates.
* Ubuntu comes with full commercial support from Canonical and hundreds of companies around the world.
* Ubuntu includes the very best translations and accessibility infrastructure that the free software community has to offer.
* Ubuntu CDs contain only free software applications; we encourage you to use free and open source software, improve it and pass it on.

quinnten83
May 27th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Given it's value, I would pay for it, but not a gobsmack of money.
But I am glad that it is free. Now i have the option to donate if i feel i want to make a financial contribution. Also I don't have to, so I am free te decide which way I can go.
Ironically the freedom alone is allready worth paying a price for it :D

Joeb454
May 27th, 2008, 12:30 PM
It should remain free, mainly because they promised a lot of people (as billgoldberg mentioned) that it would remain so ;)

SyL
May 27th, 2008, 12:48 PM
:lolflag:

who is the guy that has voted Yes??

loell
May 27th, 2008, 01:05 PM
this is a popular topic in the past, that it is so boring to choose the very obvious, so I wouldn't be surprise if Yes wins.

and I urge you to choose yes!!! :popcorn:

also the thread title is asking for price by value and the poll is asking for price by popularity, so, which is which? :D

Novega
May 27th, 2008, 02:50 PM
If I had to pay for this, I'd probably just stick with xp

gn2
May 27th, 2008, 03:13 PM
The entire Debian philosophy is to remain free

Yet if you follow the Getting Debian link on the Debian website you will be presented with a range of purchasing options (http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/)

Sukarn
May 27th, 2008, 04:19 PM
Yet if you follow the Getting Debian link on the Debian website you will be presented with a range of purchasing options (http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/)

Its for people who can't or don't want to download.

What do you want such people to do? Do you want debian to just refuse them the chance of using debian because they cannot download a CD or because they do not have a CD-writer?

SomeGuyDude
May 27th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I don't know about Ubuntu being priced, but you should be fined for having a god-awful username.

samwyse
May 27th, 2008, 05:56 PM
People would go for a no-cost alternative.

Sukarn
May 27th, 2008, 06:35 PM
I don't know about Ubuntu being priced, but you should be fined for having a god-awful username.

Before you said that, I had not even bothered trying to read what the OP's nickname was. After you said that, I went back and made a little effort to read it. It turns out to be "armageddon" written in a very hard to read manner.

Kernel Sanders
May 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM

You have the most irritating username ever. Just horrible on the eyes! :lol:

It also breaks the page somewhat when profiles are on the left! Double whammy! :lolflag:

Joeb454
May 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Long and drawn out (and written in "1337") I don't think we should go around insulting other users names on the forums :)

uraldinho
May 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Where do you get questions like this from?

Isn't the answer obvious?

Linux distributions have a business model based on services/consultancy and not on software sales. I don't know how much money they make, but it must be enough. They are still in the business, and the community is still going strong.

Besides, being good with linux has its advantages. Linux is the kernel of choice in many embedded systems, and engineering projects. So, being good at Linux has business advantages.

Joeb454
May 27th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Being good with Linux and Windows is better ;) That way you could run a Linux server behind the scenes, and Windows front-end's if need be :)

Kernel Sanders
May 27th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Long and drawn out (and written in "1337") I don't think we should go around insulting other users names on the forums :)

:lol:

I didn't mean to be insulting! Just that it's not all that easy on the eyes now is it? :D

It's length also breaks the page somewhat when the profiles are on the left. Double whammy! :lolflag:

Joeb454
May 27th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Haha, I know what you mean, but I can live with it, as long as it doesn't affect my posts :p

Sand & Mercury
May 27th, 2008, 09:24 PM
If they started charging for Ubuntu, I would stop using it.

May 28th, 2008, 09:33 AM
You have the most irritating username ever. Just horrible on the eyes! :lol:

It also breaks the page somewhat when profiles are on the left! Double whammy! :lolflag:

Well now ,that's a bit off topic though eh?:)

Solicitous
May 28th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I don't think Ubuntu should be a prices OS. I am however surprised that Canonical don't offer a *boxed* copy from their store. Yes you can buy the CDs from the store, but back when RedHat (from 6.2 onwards) they sold a pocket book - came with essentially a book with the install guide, the binary and source cds, stickers and access to the redhat network.

I used to buy each version as it came out, nice little pack that I could sit on my bookshelf and proudly showoff. They stopped it with Fedora Core 1 hence RH have never seen another cent off me since.

So No, it should not be a priced OS, but to raise funds perhaps in the Ubuntu store offer an 'install pack' (CDs, Mousepad, pen, book). I know I'd buy a pack with each release ($30-$40 perhaps).

gn2
May 28th, 2008, 01:05 PM
There is the official Ubuntu book: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-2nd/dp/0132354136
Surprised it doesn't seem to be in the Canonical store...?

inportb
May 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I consider Ubuntu priceless priceless because of its value.

Sukarn
May 28th, 2008, 03:26 PM
There is the official Ubuntu book: http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-2nd/dp/0132354136
Surprised it doesn't seem to be in the Canonical store...?

Are you sure that the funds go to Ubuntu project, and not to the authors (although there's nothing wrong with it) ?

uraldinho
May 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I don't think Ubuntu should be a prices OS. I am however surprised that Canonical don't offer a *boxed* copy from their store. Yes you can buy the CDs from the store, but back when RedHat (from 6.2 onwards) they sold a pocket book - came with essentially a book with the install guide, the binary and source cds, stickers and access to the redhat network.

I used to buy each version as it came out, nice little pack that I could sit on my bookshelf and proudly showoff. They stopped it with Fedora Core 1 hence RH have never seen another cent off me since.

So No, it should not be a priced OS, but to raise funds perhaps in the Ubuntu store offer an 'install pack' (CDs, Mousepad, pen, book). I know I'd buy a pack with each release ($30-$40 perhaps).

The thing is, a box-set might be useful for beginners but once you are past your first linux installation it's a bit pointless. I bought a red-hat book once that came with a CD, but I was an absolute beginner at the time.

My point is, if I wanted to financially contribute, I'd rather directly donate money than buy a package. The cost of the package might be $20 or so and selling it for $40, means they might make $10 profit after tax and postage. Why not just donate $20, they make more money and you pay less...

SyL
May 30th, 2008, 06:34 PM
this is a popular topic in the past, that it is so boring to choose the very obvious, so I wouldn't be surprise if Yes wins.

and I urge you to choose yes!!! :popcorn:

Ubuntu's target users are end-users!
I could convert few friends to switch to Ubuntu because it's free, they don't have to crack it (as almost all windows end users do) and it's virus and spyware free ... and of course a terrific OS!

The only way to make money with Ubuntu would be to do like RedHat --> focus on companies and provide a company standard support, that's it!

So Ubuntu should remain free!!!!

Sell a box set is also a nice idea, but you pay then for the packaging and not for the OS itself.

SyL
May 30th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Well now ,that's a bit off topic though eh?:)

it's quite right though ;-)

Barrucadu
May 30th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Why would someone want to pay something they can get the equivalent of (other distros) for free? :confused: