PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] workspace switching

akahige
May 27th, 2008, 05:28 AM
After quite awhile on Xubuntu/XFCE, I've reverted to good ol' Gnome-driven Ubuntu -- and I'm in the process of readjusting. One thing that I miss about XFCE (possibly the only thing) is the ability to switch workspaces by rolling the mouse wheel on the desktop. I see that you can do that in Gnome by hovering the panel switcher, but frankly it's a hassle to have to mouse across two screens to get to the end of the panel.

Are there other ways of achieving the same thing? What are my options here?

(I read something about Compiz having desktop scrolling, but Compiz isn't an option for me -- this system is slow enough as it is.)

I have a vague memory that you could move application windows around by grabbing them in the workspace switcher -- but that doesn't seem to work any longer. Am I mis-remembering, was it a different panel applet, or what...?

Oldsoldier2003
May 28th, 2008, 06:59 AM
After quite awhile on Xubuntu/XFCE, I've reverted to good ol' Gnome-driven Ubuntu -- and I'm in the process of readjusting. One thing that I miss about XFCE (possibly the only thing) is the ability to switch workspaces by rolling the mouse wheel on the desktop. I see that you can do that in Gnome by hovering the panel switcher, but frankly it's a hassle to have to mouse across two screens to get to the end of the panel.

Are there other ways of achieving the same thing? What are my options here?

(I read something about Compiz having desktop scrolling, but Compiz isn't an option for me -- this system is slow enough as it is.)

I have a vague memory that you could move application windows around by grabbing them in the workspace switcher -- but that doesn't seem to work any longer. Am I mis-remembering, was it a different panel applet, or what...?

you can still drag apps to other workspaces on the workspace switcher. you can also switch workspaces by using CTRL + ALT + <left/right arrow>