PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz not responding on new Laptop

AlexLinuxUser101
May 27th, 2008, 01:24 AM
So I just bought an Inspiron 1000 at a garage sale (2 bucks and it works perfectly after I fixed the power jack inside of the computer... about 2 ghz and ~500 mb RAM, 40 GB HD). Anyways, I am in the process of installing hardy heron and after getting compiz settings manager in the synaptic package manager... I realize that after going into it, it won't do what I tell it to. For example, if I enable scaling and tell it to initiate when I go bottom right and I apply that setting, it doesn't work. None of the other shortcuts seem to work either. What is going on?

oedha
May 27th, 2008, 02:08 AM
what is your display card ?
you can see by open terminal and type :==> sudo lshw -short -C display
is that Sis ? what i saw the review on
http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=1955
and
http://www.mikeshardware.com/reviews/dellinspiron1000/index.html

it was SIS....and i think sis can't play compiz .... CMIIW

AlexLinuxUser101
May 27th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Are you serious...? I'm not sure if that's the video card I have (I know that's the notebook so the review probably has it correct)... is there any way to upgrade that? Ubuntu is like worthless to me now if I can't use compiz :(. Is there really no way I can use it?

oedha
May 27th, 2008, 02:25 AM
so far as i know yes...you can't
same with me...i also have VIA which can't run compiz :)

since your card is integrated.......maybe it can't be upgraded......( according to me )
but maybe others can give you more helpful advices.....sorry :)

AlexLinuxUser101
May 27th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Hmm that sucks hardcore :(. Maybe I can sell this laptop and try to buy a newer one (how much do you think I can get for this inspiron 1000...)

irrdev
May 27th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Hmm that sucks hardcore :(. Maybe I can sell this laptop and try to buy a newer one (how much do you think I can get for this inspiron 1000...)
Unfortunately, you'll probably have to have Windows installed if you plan to sell your laptop. You can find some instructions about "cleaning up linux" here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/247804). If you installed Windows XP, you might be able to get up to $250. I wouldn't recommend selling at a garage sale, though; try trading it in at a smaller computer store. ;)

AlexLinuxUser101
May 27th, 2008, 08:46 PM
lol I know how to put windows on :P I will probably just download a copy of windows and put it on if that would help me get money. Though I'm thinking that it wouldn't even be that good of an idea to buy a laptop right now because I don't need one that much... I'll just get one later when hardware has improved (if I wait till going off to college I could probably get one with a SSD, much more ram and storage, better processor, etc. for the same price I can get a currently decent one). Well, at least I'll get a new power jack (does anyone know where I can buy a relatively cheap power jack for the inspiron 1000) and a new battery (this one is old... anyone know where to get another battery?).

LowSky
May 27th, 2008, 08:53 PM
So you buy a computer for $2 and complain you can't run Compiz? Then you say your going to steal a copy of Windows and the try to sell it for more? Are you Serious? Just make the thing a spare backup or give it to your mom/dad as a gift

AlexLinuxUser101
May 27th, 2008, 09:55 PM
So you buy a computer for $2 and complain you can't run Compiz? Then you say your going to steal a copy of Windows and the try to sell it for more? Are you Serious? Just make the thing a spare backup or give it to your mom/dad as a gift

Hey, what's wrong with trying to get more? And the reason why I wanted to sell it was because the battery is at only 9% capacity and the power jack is still a little dysfunctional. And my mom gave it to me actually (she's the one who bought it at the garage sale).

m_ad
May 27th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I agree. Compiz is really nice visually, but wouldn't turn me away from linux if I couldn't have it. There is much more to linux than compiz :lolflag:

I actually ran ubuntu 7.10 for a long time without Compiz because my video card was blacklisted. Still loved it :)

Arthur Archnix
May 27th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I'm failing to understand something here. You're only reason for having a computer is to run compiz? To spin the cube? or... :confused:

You know... if you want to spend more than two dollars I can sell you a cube that you can twirl in your hands, and paint different pictures on all the sides. And unlike your laptop, if you get bored with it you can throw it at someone you don't like. Well, unlike most laptops. I think if I had a two dollar laptop I'd throw it at Carrot Top. "Hey carrotLAPtop! Bam. Right in the kisser.

AlexLinuxUser101
May 27th, 2008, 10:54 PM
m_ad: Ah yeah I know there's more... it's not as much that it looks nice but I've found it very, very helpful in general. Too bad I suppose...

Arthur: Don't put words in my mouth... I didn't say that's my "only reason for having a computer." I just found it was really helpful and certainly one of the best features of ubuntu.

Arthur Archnix
May 27th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Are you serious...? I'm not sure if that's the video card I have (I know that's the notebook so the review probably has it correct)... is there any way to upgrade that? Ubuntu is like worthless to me now if I can't use compiz :(. Is there really no way I can use it?

Yeah, sorry for putting words in your mouth. :roll: