PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] shutdown script

NaF
May 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM
Hello.
I would like my pc to shutdown after 120minutes - I wont really be touching a mouse or keyboard in this timeframe - So I wrote a little bashscript
sudo shutdown -h 120 Did the whole
chmod u+x and loaded the script into the session-thiny of Ubuntu. Of course it does not work, because the shutdown command requires sudo and I don't enter a password. Hm, how do I go around this?

sam_delta
May 27th, 2008, 12:03 AM
i believe that you have to call the whole script as sudo, and remove any sudo from the inside of the script
example, your script should look like

"shutdown -h 120"

and you should call it as "sudo script"

remember that you have to add a bash header to the script so it would look like this

#!/bin/bash

shutdown -h 120

sam

kerry_s
May 27th, 2008, 12:06 AM
disregard not fully awake yet. :)

NaF
May 27th, 2008, 12:06 AM
i believe that you have to call the whole script as sudo, and remove any sudo from the inside of the script
example, your script should look like

"shutdown -h 120"

and you should call it as "sudo script"

remember that you have to add a bash header to the script so it would look like this

sam

But how do I call it as sudo on startup :)?

sam_delta
May 27th, 2008, 12:07 AM
another solution which is much simplier and you dont even have to manually run the script is to direclty Put the command (without sudo) in /etc/rc.local above the exit 0
it will execute the command you typed at boot time and it will not need sudo since its still at boot time

you would add the line "shutdown -h 120" before the "exit 0" line in /etc/rc.local
sam

NaF
May 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
another solution which is much simplier and you dont even have to manually run the script is to direclty Put the command (without sudo) in /etc/rc.local above the exit 0
it will execute the command you typed at boot time and it will not need sudo since its still at boot time

you would add the line "shutdown -h 120" before the "exit 0" line in /etc/rc.local
sam

ahh that's pretty fancy, thanks a lot :)

starcannon
May 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
In a terminal type

username@ubuntu:~$ sudo sh ./yourScript.sh

The script will now run.

I think if you want this script to run without super user required you might could:

username@ubuntu:~$ sudo chmod 777 ./yourScript.sh

GL

sam_delta
May 27th, 2008, 12:13 AM
no problem, enjoy ubuntu

sam