PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] LiveCD problems

kk0sse54
May 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM
I successfully installed Arch on this laptop and what can I say it was awesome. So I decided to try to put it on my desktop and try out a liveCD of it. Downloaded the iso burned it successfully popped it in and it loaded fine and logged me in. But then instead of loading the desktop it went into a command line with no GUI, xorg ,or anything. Is this because it it couldn't recognize my graphics card or couldn't find the right driver or something like that? If so is there a way to manually get it up and running?
thanks, C!oud

mips
May 27th, 2008, 12:26 AM
As far as I know the livecd does not have X or a gui.

MisfitI38
May 27th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I successfully installed Arch on this laptop and what can I say it was awesome. So I decided to try to put it on my desktop and try out a liveCD of it. Downloaded the iso burned it successfully popped it in and it loaded fine and logged me in. But then instead of loading the desktop it went into a command line with no GUI, xorg ,or anything. Is this because it it couldn't recognize my graphics card or couldn't find the right driver or something like that? If so is there a way to manually get it up and running?
thanks, C!oud

Hmmm. If you have successfully installed Arch, you know that the install process provides a minimal base system, with no GUI. The install cd is merely a live base system. ;)

kk0sse54
May 27th, 2008, 12:44 AM
then it would be incredibly stupid mishap on my part #-o. Is there a way to enable the gui?

smartboyathome
May 27th, 2008, 12:45 AM
That is correct. The livecd does not come with a GUI. I find this good, as I use it as a recovering livecd when I don't need a partitioner. You have to install a gui after Arch is installed (which will also not have a gui). Arch does not really help you through much of this.

kk0sse54
May 27th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Hmmm. If you have successfully installed Arch, you know that the install process provides a minimal base system, with no GUI. The install cd is merely a live base system.

yes the install was text based but I downloaded the second iso from somewhere else (will have to search for it again because I cleared the history) and it said LiveCD so I was thinking more in lines with the Ubuntu or Fedora liveCD.

kk0sse54
May 27th, 2008, 12:48 AM
sweet thanks everyone for clearing this up I'll just go ahead and install it. :)

MisfitI38
May 27th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I use it as a recovering livecd when I don't need a partitioner.

CFdisk is included on the live CD. ;)

kk0sse54
May 27th, 2008, 01:04 AM
One more quick question before the thread goes cold and I make the same mistake again. Does any of you guys know if the Dream Linux Live CD includes a GUI?

smartboyathome
May 27th, 2008, 02:06 AM
CFdisk is included on the live CD. ;)

Yes, but it doesn't work for me. It says I have an oversized logical partition, GParted doesn't detect this though. :(

handy
May 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM
@ C!oud: Have you referred to the Beginners Guide (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners_Guide) in the Arch Wiki?

It will tell you more than you need to get your system setup, including instructions for setting up Gnome, KDE & others. It also gives instructions that will help your machine boot faster, it is really worth looking at.

kk0sse54
May 28th, 2008, 12:46 AM
@ C!oud: Have you referred to the Beginners Guide in the Arch Wiki?

It will tell you more than you need to get your system setup, including instructions for setting up Gnome, KDE & others. It also gives instructions that will help your machine boot faster, it is really worth looking at.

yes I have and it's been great in helping me learn more about Arch