PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Aaarg! No wifi after updating / uninstalling / installing

DizMan
May 26th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Hi there.

I don't hope I'm posting some dumb qustions - but I'm still quite new at Ubuntu/Kubuntu

Here's the problem. Suddenly when i log in it does no longer connect to my wifi network. The icon with wifi is gone. A also cannot reach my wifi-router when typing it's IP address in the browser. I'm also getting a dialog-box with the title "Error - KDE Panel" saying: "wrong URL. system:/". Another funny thing is, that Konqueror suddenly isn't installed any more - and the same is the case with KDE Wallet it seems!

What did I do? Here's the story: I've had a lot of problems with configuring samba on this laptop running Kubuntu. I've also got another laptop running Ubuntu with no problems regading Samba.

I tried solving these problems the windows way: I've been uninstalling / installing about 10 different packages regarding Samba and Samba related products and tried even deleting the samba.conf file which looks "funny" and quite different from the samba.conf file on the Ubuntu pc.

I also used Adept to install all the latest updates. Then suddenly this strange behavior with no wifi etc. started.

I've tried to reinstall some of the packages using Adept - but it can't connect due to the missing wifi connection. It tries to install and then ends with the message signal 11 (Sigsegv)

Please help me if you can - and bear in mind that you're taking to a rookie! Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Diz!

HW: HP dv9780eo laptop, dual boot Vista Preminum / Kubuntu 8,04. 2 GB ram, 2 x 500 HD.