PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] what's the terminal command to check a filesystem

Raccoon1400
May 26th, 2008, 08:05 PM
I want to check hda1 for errors. What command do I use.

drs305
May 26th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I want to check hda1 for errors. What command do I use.

fsck is the utility that will do this. However it must not be run on a mounted partition. The easiest option is to:

sudo touch /forcefsck

This will create a 'forcefsck' file to be placed in the root directory and cause an fsck check on that partition during the next boot.

Raccoon1400
May 26th, 2008, 08:22 PM
What would I use to check the filesystem right now, from a different OS that doesn't mount that partition.

newbreed
May 26th, 2008, 08:27 PM
take a look here.. http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/r10735/unixcomm.html

vanadium
May 26th, 2008, 08:30 PM
The command in fact is fsck, but for any permanent drive, the tip of drs305 to "force" a check on the next boot is your safest bet.

Paqman
May 26th, 2008, 08:31 PM
What would I use to check the filesystem right now, from a different OS that doesn't mount that partition.

The LiveCD is handy for this. Boot up into it and run fsck.

drs305's suggestion is probably quicker, though.

Raccoon1400
May 26th, 2008, 08:39 PM
The check using the first method failed. It told me to run fsck manually in recovery mode with the fs mounted read-only. How do I get recovery mode to mount hda1 as read-only?
This is why it failed. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=807473

philinux
May 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Press esc when stage 1 grub loads. select the recovery mode.

Then

fsck -v /dev/xdax

some people have sda1 others have hda1 etc

Raccoon1400
May 26th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I did the check and I think I may have fixed it. At least part of it.

Raccoon1400
May 26th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I need to do the same check on hardy, on the same machine, but recovery mode did not mount it as read-only.

vanadium
May 28th, 2008, 09:28 PM
Do not make things complicated.

* If you want to check a partition other than one that is used for the system (e.g. /, /home, /boot...) then just unmount the drive and check. Example, assuming /dev/sdc1 is the partition you want to check:

sudo umount /dev/sdc1
sudo fsck /dev/sdc1

* If you want to check a partition that cannot be unmounted, then follow drs305's advice. e.g (in an already exotic system) I have /home on /dev/sdc1

sudo touch /home/forcefsck

and restart the system. In practice, this will be rarely necessary: such drives are usually mounted in fstab with the instruction to be checked. They will undergo a quick check every time the machine is booted and a thorough check every 30 mounts or 30 days, whichever comes first (and dependent on the filesystem parameters set).

However IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU TAKE A HABIT OF CHECKING A REMOVABLE DRIVE from time to time. Indeed, these drives are never checked automatically, only when you instruct so! It is an important task, thus, keep it simple!