PDA

View Full Version : Wow, latest updates make gnome-compositing work nicely

Npl
May 26th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Dunno whats responsible, but last time I tried, I experienced severe slowdowns. No such things so far.. should it continue to work without problems I will keep it :)

The only thing thats missing is Vsync for videos.

madjr
May 26th, 2008, 09:01 PM
i think it were the new nvidia drivers

Bungo Pony
May 26th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I take this is an update released today?

PLEASE GOD let it fix my random freezing problem.

dasunst3r
May 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I'm still seeing 169.12 on the nVidia web site. Am I missing something here? Also, exactly what is gnome-compositing? I've heard of Compiz Fusion, but where do you get this gnome-compositing?

kevin11951
May 26th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I'm still seeing 169.12 on the nVidia web site. Am I missing something here? Also, exactly what is gnome-compositing? I've heard of Compiz Fusion, but where do you get this gnome-compositing?

the newest gnome (the one in hardy) has a built it composite manager,it has none of the cool effects of compiz, but it does allow things like live thumbnails, and transparencies.

Npl
May 27th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Im using same NV-Drivers as before, no idea what update is responsible for compositing working nicely now (maybe kernel-scheduling?)

And the right term is metacity-compositing, unlike compiz this is done right in gnomes default window-manager, so no ackward differences in UI-Handling, and both lighter and much more stable.

To enable (you should disable compiz-compositing before - do so in the "Appearance" GUI ):

gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager true

To disable:

gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/metacity/general/compositing_manager false

or run gconf-editor and navigate to the key manually

Joeb454
May 27th, 2008, 01:19 AM
The metacity compositor has always worked well for me (I have an Intel onboard graphics card) :)