PDA

View Full Version : Why management should never go in the server room

stalker145
May 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
Old as the hills, but still funny if you ask me.

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/50428/the-website-is-down-because-someone-removed-the-x-box.html

Public Universities are always running on a limited budget which means they sometimes come up with “innovative” solutions. A couple of years back, an X-Box with some variant of Linux installed had been put in the server room to support a subject designed to teach computer-illiterate Philosophy students how to build their own web pages. This unorthodox platform was chosen because one of the techs was a Linux enthusiast and had convinced “the powers that be” that a cheap web server solution for this subject could be implemented using an X-Box rather than a standard PC or server. Grateful to save money where they could, the project was approved.

Several years later and most of the staff in the department had moved on to bigger and better things. There was a new manager and a brand new set of helpdesk techs. The department’s Unix administrator was one of the few people left who knew what the X-Box was used for. Each year before the second semester class began he powered up the X-Box and updated its software. Few of the other staff ventured into the server room so there was little reason to wonder why an X-Box was sitting on the rack.

Five weeks into the “Web pages for Philosophy students” class the excrement encountered the rotary cooling device. The IT department’s help desk started receiving calls from Philosophy students who were unable to access their web projects.

Flummoxed, the help desk staff escalated the job ticket to the Unix administrator. Unable to remotely access the X-Box, he trotted off to the server room. He was surprised to find that the X-Box was no longer present. He did a quick search of the room but failed to find it. As it did not look as though someone had broken in to the room, there had to be another explanation.

The administrator went down to the new manager’s office to report the missing X-Box. The new manager was quiet for a moment and then sheepishly informed the administrator that it was he who had removed the X-Box. The manager had thought the X-Box was just a games console that the IT departments staff used for recreation when it got quiet. Noticing that the X-Box hadn’t been moved from the server room for some time and that his son was going to be at home on school holidays for the next two weeks, the manager decided to take the X-Box home so that his son would have something to entertain himself with. The manager then drove home and retrieved the X-Box. The administrator got a labeling machine and plastered the words “This is actually a server” all across the console.

nick09
May 26th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Dude!:lolflag:

Good idea to label the xbox as a server.

NullHead
May 26th, 2008, 05:49 PM
That's awesome! :lolflag: who would've thought that an x-box would make a good server :roll:

-grubby
May 26th, 2008, 05:59 PM
:lolflag: . That's awesome!!

fatality_uk
May 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Obviously the fault of the Unix Admin. He should of made the new manager aware of the situation with the x-box. He is 1,000,000% to blame and quite frnakly should have been sacked for not informing the poor manager.

Regards
Fatality_uk
IT Manager

ShodanjoDM
May 26th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Xbox as a Linux server. A couple of PS3 become a supercomputer - again with Linux. I've seen someone hacked a gameboy and runs Linux in it.

What next? Tamagotchi as Linux powered GPS? :lolflag:

samwyse
May 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
because of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmxPfZtV6w0

HermanAB
May 26th, 2008, 06:58 PM
... or Why All Machines Should Be Clearly Labelled.

Chame_Wizard
May 26th, 2008, 07:04 PM
brilliant:lolflag:

maniacmusician
May 26th, 2008, 07:07 PM
haha, that's brilliant. While of course, the machine should have been labeled, it's also true that most management should stay away. Far, far away. I work at the IT department at my school, and we have several levels of management. My direct manager is great; she knows what she's doing, and is more experienced than most of the IT staff (which wasn't the case at my previous school). Anyone above her is a danger to all technical operations, and we try to keep them in their offices and away from our servers.

mips
May 26th, 2008, 07:10 PM
So much for Change Control procedures...

The golden rule I learned is that if you do not know what it is leave it alone. Then start asking questions.

I recall someone once unplugging a few VAX boxes at a place I worked, to their detriment ofcourse....

koenn
May 26th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Obviously the fault of the Unix Admin. He should of made the new manager aware of the situation with the x-box. He is 1,000,000% to blame and quite frnakly should have been sacked for not informing the poor manager.

Regards
Fatality_uk
IT Manager
That "poor manager"did steal company equipment.

fatality_uk
May 26th, 2008, 07:36 PM
That "poor manager"did steal company equipment.

There isn't a sarcastic smiley unfortunately else I would have included it in my post ;)

koenn
May 26th, 2008, 07:48 PM
There isn't a sarcastic smiley unfortunately else I would have included it in my post ;)
I could read your post as "serious" and as "sarcastic"; both ways worked and there wasn't any context or metadata to choose. So I gambled :)

chaoswings
May 26th, 2008, 07:52 PM
... or Why All Machines Should Be Clearly Labelled.

Totally agree with you. They should have at least properly labeled it or told the management about it. But then again people have been known not to read instructions or pay attention to signs. Either way he still stole the xbox from the room without asking anyone

fatality_uk
May 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM
I could read your post as "serious" and as "sarcastic"; both ways worked and there wasn't any context or metadata to choose. So I gambled :)

Nice one. Oh, we must play poker sometime ;) :lolflag: Gambling like that :D

koenn
May 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Totally agree with you. They should have at least properly labeled it or told the management about it. But then again people have been known not to read instructions or pay attention to signs. Either way he still stole the xbox from the room without asking anyone

Managers have no business wandering around in server rooms. Noene has. Server rooms should be off limits for anyone except IT personel. Apart from unplugging machines you don't want unplugged, they could walk away with sensitive, confidential data. You don't want that.
In this case it was "just" some student web pages but ...