PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to Backup / Restore Ubuntu to change from Vista to XP

cforput
May 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I have a laptop that came with Vista. I have installed gusty on it an everything is working OK. This newbie has learned a lot but has a long way to go.

I can't get rid of windows until a viable alternative to MS Streets and Trips is available. I have looked at what is available and nothing is even close to what I need (desktop with no internet connection). Anyway, I digress.....

I want to change from Vista to XP but don't want to start all over again with Ubuntu. Is there a way to do a backup, switch from Vista to XP and then restore my complete Ubuntu config so I don't have to go back through the hours and hours it has taken me to get Ubuntu to work for me?

tamoneya
May 26th, 2008, 05:36 PM
you should do two things:
1. Backup /home. This will store all of your configurations and personal settings as well as all of your personal files.

2. Use remastersys. This will allow you to make a custom Ubuntu CD that has all the packages and programs that you have installed. This way you dont have to go through installing them one by one again.

cforput
May 28th, 2008, 04:29 AM
OK, so I am really new to Ubuntu / Linux. Is there are "backup" command or do I just copy it to some place safe?

Would these be the correct steps?
1. Copy /home to a safe place
2. Run remastersys to create a custom Ubuntu CD
3. Trash Vista
4. Install XP
5. Reinstall Ubuntu wiht remastersys
6. Copy /home back to new Ubuntu install?

what if remastersys doesn't fit onto a single CD (I have no idea what this does but I do know I have installed a LOT of programs so not sure they will all fit on a single CD)

Any and All help would be greatly appreciated.

zvacet
May 28th, 2008, 07:50 AM
If I understand you correctly you are doual booting Vista/Ubuntu.Now you want to replace Vista with XP.Boot your XP install CD and with it delete Vista partition (if that is possible with Vista.I donīt know because I never use it but it should be that way.).On that partition install XP.That will erase your grub so you will have to reinstall it.Do it like this. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351&highlight=reinstall+grub)