PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Best Destkop Enviroment For MMx

vandorjw
May 26th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Hey,

I recently got hold of an old computer that I want to put to use again. I would like to put some version of Ubuntu on it, but don't know if it can handel it.

Specs
- 233mhz Pentium MMX
- 113 MB RAM (bios says VRAM)
- HHD = ?? GB (I believe its not bigger than 1GB)

Also, it uses Serial Keyboard and Mouse, not even PS2
(I just thought I put this in, because I am not sure if Ubuntu supports that)

What is best desktop environment to put on here?
Is there something that is lighter than XCFE but still Ubuntu compatible?

Cheers - CC7

Anzan
May 26th, 2008, 05:23 PM
You could try Fluxbuntu.

homerhomer
May 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I would try

http://www.xubuntu.org/

bingoUV
May 26th, 2008, 06:44 PM
xubuntu might work for other specs (CPU, memory) but you won't get much in less than 1GB of hard disk space. Regular live CD install will be impossible, server install and installing minimal xfce would also take lots of hard disk space.

Go for DSL, or puppy linux. Added advantage is that they will run very fast and leave lots of hard disk space for your personal use.

vandorjw
May 28th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Hi, thanks for the replies so far.

I decided to put DSL on it and it runs very smooth.
Apparently the Serial Mouse and Keyboard wasn't much of an issue at all.

Cheers CC7

Edit - Internal HDD was actually 3GB, So I have lots of free space left.
I am now thinking of dual booting with fluxbuntu.
I'll try and let you know how it went or come back for help if I have problems.

doorknob60
May 28th, 2008, 11:27 PM
With 3 GB, Fluxbuntu should do good (note that it's not oficial and has two annoying bugs right now). One bug is that on some computers it won't boot (I can't find the launchpad bug with the workaround, hopefully you won't need it), and automounting won't worke. I think that one's explained on the download page, simply run this:

mkdir ~/.ivman

Also, I recommend the XFCE version of Debian. I find it more stable, and suprisingly just as lightweight (install Opera though because it's lighter than Iceweasel), and I like it better than Fluxbuntu, because Xfce is more complete and easier to use, and you can still use apt-get like in Ubuntu. http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso

Kowalski_GT-R
May 29th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Hi cc7gir,

tried Fluxbuntu on a similar specced machine, although it was useable, I think you can go even lighter.

May I point you towards a very useful guide? (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=575456) It's inside these forums.

Damn Small Linux should do fine

Give Ubuntulite a try when 0.8 is ready. It uses 775 Mb of hard drive space and it promises to be very easy on resources.

Otherwise install an Ubuntu mini-install cd and add only the things you need. Mind you, it needs a bit of studying/research.

Have fun :)

Kowalski_GT-R
May 29th, 2008, 09:41 AM
oh, btw I have a modified Fluxbuntu iso image which works... let me know, in case of need PM me,

i'd avoid Xubuntu on those specs...

cheers

Andre

vandorjw
July 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all the help :)

System is now running fairly smooth using Fluxbuntu,

Cheers - CC7