PDA

View Full Version : Excess space!

galeron
May 26th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hello people,

I have

A 1.6TB server
with
1.06TB of mirrored space (RAID5 and RAID1)
57G of RAID0
500GB of standalone storage

And zero idea of what to do with that space. As of now I've only used 400gb. Which leaves 1.2TB. Ideas?

I mean, there's only so many movies that I actually like well enough to put on the server. My music is a pathetic 16gb. It's practically a sin to let this storage go to waste!

I need ideas to fill up the space! :lolflag:

hoagie
May 26th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Why did you buy all these if you knew there's no way you can use them ?

AusIV4
May 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I've been running MythTV for about a year and a half, and I've managed to fill 485 GB. Throw a cheap TV tuner in your system, pick shows you enjoy watching, and keep all of them. And unlike with piracy, your hard drives will be filled with legal recordings.

I also do daily backups from my laptop onto my desktop, which uses another 60 GB or so. I can recover my laptop to any state it's been in for the last 8 months.

Joeb454
May 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm with the above :) That will use some space.

You could also host some Linux cd's (the .iso files) :)

NullHead
May 26th, 2008, 05:34 PM
I've been running MythTV for about a year and a half, and I've managed to fill 485 GB. Throw a cheap TV tuner in your system, pick shows you enjoy watching, and keep all of them. And unlike with piracy, your hard drives will be filled with legal recordings.

I also do daily backups from my laptop onto my desktop, which uses another 60 GB or so. I can recover my laptop to any state it's been in for the last 8 months.

I agree with AusIV4. I'd do all of the things he suggests.

20thCenturyBoy
May 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
With the price of GB's nowadays who doesn't have excess space?