PDA

View Full Version : Clear- the Next Gen Look for Ubuntu- Almost Ready For Coding!

acelin
May 26th, 2008, 04:52 PM
This is a mockup I have created for Gtk. It is possible, and I found some people who will be able to code it. I need suggestions for a complete icon set and an open-source font!

http://salane89.deviantart.com/art/Clear-Ubuntu-Beta-Mockup-86775525

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/Clear_Intrepid

http://salane89.deviantart.com

acelin
May 26th, 2008, 05:12 PM
This is a mockup I have created for Gtk. It is possible, and I found some people who will be able to code it. I need suggestions for a complete icon set and an open-source font!

http://salane89.deviantart.com/art/Clear-Ubuntu-Beta-Mockup-86775525

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/Clear_Intrepid

http://salane89.deviantart.com

ANY suggestions?!?!?!?!?!?!

I need an ICON SET

and an OPEN SOURCE FONT!!!!
:guitar::guitar::lolflag::lolflag:

smartboyathome
May 26th, 2008, 05:21 PM
I am sorry, but I still don't like it much, and it isn't completely possible without compositing (which still is needed, because Compiz still won't work/works poorly on a lot of hardware :().

acelin
May 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I am sorry, but I still don't like it much, and it isn't completely possible without compositing (which still is needed, because Compiz still won't work/works poorly on a lot of hardware :().

Wrong! There are people who know how to code without compositing, using just gtk and other engines! I dont care if you dont like. Make suggestions, as long as they arent some 'wise' comment like ' get rid of the rounded corners' or 'I dont like the transparencies.'

toupeiro
May 26th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I think the clear looks great, although I think a solid "GTK only" fallback theme that doesn't use compiz/emerald should be considered to satisfy the top comment if indeed the screenshot is dependant on one or both of the composite tools.

Great work. I'm far more excited about Ibex already than I was about Hardy. Soooo long to wait. I wonder if there is room still to help out the testers...

daverich
May 26th, 2008, 05:36 PM
well i like it :)

Bigtime_Scrub
May 26th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I like the way it looks.

geoken
May 26th, 2008, 05:38 PM
You should ask the people who say it's possible to post. I think if anyone is able to make that happen, the process of doing so will teach us all a lot about the pixbuf engine and GTK themeing.

For example, the tooltip style submenu. At first glance it's seems do-able because you can just make it a pixmap background with a carefully placed 9 slice grid. But how would you make it differ from the main menu, is that possible? How would you set the icons to not occupy the transparent space, is that possible? How would you make the glow in the selection highlight pixmap stretch to the text and align itself to the text?

Also, are the nautilus mods being done only through themeing? How are you hiding icons, is it with a transparent icon? If so how is that elements space (ie list view header above nautilus side panel) being set to zero and being overlaped.

Vadi
May 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Love it, could be useful for people on the decent hardware that Compiz runs on (hey, it runs on an ATI Radeon 7500...).

madjr
May 26th, 2008, 08:52 PM

thats the point of this mock-up

it's not to be used as default for Ibex

it's something we'll get working on now with the help of some experts in theming and compositing effects.

i.e. AWN needs compositing but a big amount of users have it.

am sure we can create a package for this theme and all it's components (similar to the mac4lin)

windows 7 is coming with a good amount of eye candy. 3D hardware will be a requirement for any OS (in fact is almost a requirement now).

KDE4 will be a nice step in this direction, but gnome should not stay behind.

http://raptor-menu.org/

the thing i like best is the gnome-menu 2.0 look (which is completely possible)

macogw
May 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I think the clear looks great, although I think a solid "GTK only" fallback theme that doesn't use compiz/emerald should be considered to satisfy the top comment if indeed the screenshot is dependant on one or both of the composite tools.

Great work. I'm far more excited about Ibex already than I was about Hardy. Soooo long to wait. I wonder if there is room still to help out the testers...

Emerald dead. Compiz + Gtk-Window-Decorator now...Gtk-Window-Decorator uses Metacity themes, but makes them semi-transparent. Also, on comps that can't do Compiz, Metacity can often still do compositing.

acelin
May 26th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks macogw.

And this IS a proposal for the default. None of this will have to use Compiz when finished.

cardinals_fan
May 26th, 2008, 09:40 PM
I don't like it, but if you do, go ahead!

Ioky
May 26th, 2008, 09:45 PM
It looks great, I like it. clear and simple and do get to the point.

acelin
May 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I don't like it, but if you do, go ahead!

I know that. I really dont care about your opinion; after all, your desktop is as minimalistic and bland as it gets.

Polygon
May 26th, 2008, 10:01 PM
the nautilus places window looks really wierd, i think the ubuntu icon in the top left is wayyyyy to big. And the pop up window is so transparent i can hardly read it. I dont like it that much...sorry

acelin
May 26th, 2008, 10:21 PM
the nautilus places window looks really wierd, i think the ubuntu icon in the top left is wayyyyy to big. And the pop up window is so transparent i can hardly read it. I dont like it that much...sorry

Its supposed to be an unfocused window silly!

People need to stop saying what they dont like and instead offer improvement tips... and say WHY!

speedwell68
May 27th, 2008, 01:34 AM
Looks nice.

K.Mandla
May 27th, 2008, 01:39 AM
Moved to Desktop Effects and Customization.

OZFive
May 27th, 2008, 01:55 AM
LURV it.

bwhite82
May 27th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Looks clean and refreshing. Now get crackin! :)

smartboyathome
May 27th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Emerald dead. Compiz + Gtk-Window-Decorator now...Gtk-Window-Decorator uses Metacity themes, but makes them semi-transparent. Also, on comps that can't do Compiz, Metacity can often still do compositing.

It is not dead, it can't do something like this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=806135), can it? If it can, I would like to know how, as I don't know how.

ultimatsz
May 27th, 2008, 02:14 AM
it looks like the vista project cairo.. but transparent..

OZFive
June 1st, 2008, 04:18 PM
Any progress yet on this? I would love to have it for my desktop!

BobCFC
June 2nd, 2008, 12:07 AM
For the font you should use Liberation Sans (size 9)

Made by Red Hat completely safe to use, you can find it in the repos:

sudo apt-get install ttf-liberation

(make sure you pick sub-pixel smoothing LCD for nice font rendering otherwise fonts look aliased)

acelin
June 4th, 2008, 07:26 PM
For the font you should use Liberation Sans (size 9)

Made by Red Hat completely safe to use, you can find it in the repos:

sudo apt-get install ttf-liberation

(make sure you pick sub-pixel smoothing LCD for nice font rendering otherwise fonts look aliased)

Good idea, but as for now, I cant get it to work on Windows- and for right now, I dont have a computer with Ubuntu on it- I will very soon though!

Sand & Mercury
June 5th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Its supposed to be an unfocused window silly!
That shouldn't matter :lol: You shouldn't have to click on a window just to be able to read it... other than that it looks pretty good, streamlined and all... but... I dunno, something's wrong with it, just can't put my finger on what... keep your same approach but refine it as much as you can is my advice.

acelin
June 5th, 2008, 04:18 PM
That shouldn't matter :lol: You shouldn't have to click on a window just to be able to read it... other than that it looks pretty good, streamlined and all... but... I dunno, something's wrong with it, just can't put my finger on what... keep your same approach but refine it as much as you can is my advice.

No problem. I just learned how to do a lot of neat things in Illustrator, so I will be moving my artwork to that. Once I have icons and a font, this will be done in no time, and out for coding.

I have decided to remove transparency to at least get my idea for a professional looking streamlined desktop interface. It will still look awesome as ever...

Luke has no name
June 5th, 2008, 04:48 PM
i Think The Clear Looks Great, Although I Think A Solid "gtk Only" Fallback Theme That Doesn't Use Compiz/emerald Should Be Considered To Satisfy The Top Comment If Indeed The Screenshot Is Dependant On One Or Both Of The Composite Tools.

Great Work. I'm Far More Excited About Ibex Already Than I Was About Hardy. Soooo Long To Wait. I Wonder If There Is Room Still To Help Out The Testers...

+1

acelin
June 5th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks AI.