PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade Laptop Hard Drive

linux-amt
May 26th, 2008, 03:16 PM
I have Ubuntu 7.10 running great on my laptop with a 10GB drive. I now have a 30GB drive I want to install to replace the 10GB. I used Clonezilla and it copied all the files and the system worked great except it made the 30GB the same size as the 10GB and I can't access the remaining disk space. My question is number one, is there a way I can use Clonezilla and still access the extra disk space? Someone said something about using .tar files to upgrade but I can't find the instructions of how they said to do that. The only OS on the drive is Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance for any help....

joselin
May 26th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Check with gparted if your partition have more than 10 Gb.

Barriehie
May 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I have Ubuntu 7.10 running great on my laptop with a 10GB drive. I now have a 30GB drive I want to install to replace the 10GB. I used Clonezilla and it copied all the files and the system worked great except it made the 30GB the same size as the 10GB and I can't access the remaining disk space. My question is number one, is there a way I can use Clonezilla and still access the extra disk space? Someone said something about using .tar files to upgrade but I can't find the instructions of how they said to do that. The only OS on the drive is Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance for any help....

I just used gparted to shrink a partition and here's what happened. After making a complete backup with this:

#!/bin/bash
tar cvpzf /home/barrie/disk/backup-files/bup$(date +%m%d%y).tgz --exclude=/proc --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/mnt --exclude=/sys --exclude=/home/barrie/disk --exclude=/var/spool/havp /I proceeded to boot from the gparted LiveCD and shrink the partition from 180 Gb to 100 Gb. I figured this would take awhile and after 8 hours was beginning to freak out. The keyboard was unresponsive and the HD light was randomly intermittent. Having made a complete backup stored on another drive I went ahead and pulled the plug on the power. My machine did reboot just fine and all is well so I can't tell you how long it might take or even if your results will be similar. Major point being is make a backup

Barrie