PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] users disappeared from gdm and users and groups

bjb1959
May 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I recently upgraded from gutsy to heron and most everything worked fine but what I can't figure out is my list of users that I created using "users and groups" settings manager are no longer visible in either "users and groups" or as options in gdm. They exist in /etc/groups, /etc/shadow, /etc/passwd, /etc/gshadow files but they don't show up as options to edit or delete in "users and groups" nor do they show up as options in gdm. I can still log in using the username and password on each. any idea how to get them to show up again?

http://bartburroughs.hopto.org/users.png

sisco311
May 26th, 2008, 03:12 PM
First you need to click on the Unlock button in Users and Groups.

bjb1959
May 28th, 2008, 03:35 PM
First you need to click on the Unlock button in Users and Groups.

This doesn't work, I can unlock it but can't see any users but root. also have a new problem. I created a new user to use instead of my old user because it had become extremely slow and now when I go to users-admin the unlock button is not active and I can't add any new users or add my new user to any groups.

sisco311
May 28th, 2008, 09:33 PM
This doesn't work, I can unlock it but can't see any users but root. also have a new problem. I created a new user to use instead of my old user because it had become extremely slow and now when I go to users-admin the unlock button is not active and I can't add any new users or add my new user to any groups.

sudo addgroup new-user-name-here admin

bjb1959
May 29th, 2008, 08:54 PM

sudo addgroup new-user-name-here admin

I fixed the user-admin problem by creating a launcher on the panel. it will work that way but not if I use the link in the menu for some reason. If I use that link the unlock button is grey. If I use the launcher I created on the panel it works fine. The other 4 users are still missing from the list though so that is still a problem. If I try to add those users again it tells me they already exist but they aren't listed there or in the gdm list. I can log in gdm using the user name and password for those accounts but they just don't show up on the list. So they exist just not visible in gdm or users and groups.

A1Dox
March 1st, 2010, 12:19 AM
I realise this is an old post that I'm replying to, but it came up in a slightly different search to the one I used to find the thread I originally posted to. So, I'm leaving this post, in the hope it helps somebody else using the search terms that found this thread but not the other.

I've just fixed a similar problem on a Karmic machine here. The users all showed up in the GDM login screen user list, but only the root user was shown in the user-admin dialog. At the risk of being accused of cross-posting, the full details are in this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8896924&postcount=11) ;)

Hope it helps.

Regards
Dox