PDA

View Full Version : how to become super user before running a GUI ?

brijith
May 26th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hai,

I have developed an application in python. It is to be ran with Super User privilege. What I do now to run it is open a terminal then become super user using the command SU then run my application in terminal. In debian and Ubuntu I have seen a pop up window asking root password will rise before any privileged windows like networks or Synaptic. How can I use that type of authentication. How can I raise that pop up window and become super user start my application with super user

Thanks

LaRoza
May 26th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Hai,

I have developed an application in python. It is to be ran with Super User privilege. What I do now to run it is open a terminal then become super user using the command SU then run my application in terminal. In debian and Ubuntu I have seen a pop up window asking root password will rise before any privileged windows like networks or Synaptic. How can I use that type of authentication. How can I raise that pop up window and become super user start my application with super user

Thanks

Look into "man gksu".

xlinuks
May 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Thus, if you wish, say, to run nautilus as a root/super-user press Alt+F2 to get the "Run Application" dialog, and type "gksudo nautilus" - you'll get prompted for the password, and if typed the correct password, nautilus will run as root.

brijith
May 27th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Thanks Friends