PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Does Ubuntu wipe all my whole hard disk?

@_R_|\/|_@_G_E_|)_|)_0|\|
May 26th, 2008, 02:10 PM
:popcorn:Oh! Hey! Just watching a little Big Bang Theory!

Oh yeah, the thread I posted. I just wanted to know whether installing Ubuntu on my laptop would wipe my whole hard drive if I gave it all my memory during installation.

Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Yours truly,
Armageddon

Pumalite
May 26th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Memory? Graphics?

gotlinuxed
May 26th, 2008, 02:27 PM
:popcorn:Oh! Hey! Just watching a little Big Bang Theory!

Oh yeah, the thread I posted. I just wanted to know whether installing Ubuntu on my laptop would wipe my whole hard drive if I gave it all my memory during installation.

There are three types of storage in most computers. First, your RAM. This is nonpersistent memory used by the CPU to run programs, and is commonly referred to as "memory". Second, your hard drive. This is persistent storage used to keep copies of programs and data, and is commonly referred to as "disk space". Finally is video memory; this is special storage used by the video card, which we'll ignore for the sake of this discussion.

Given the above, your statement about giving Ubuntu your memory is going to be confusing, as an operating system always controls the mapping of the RAM on the computer it's running on. I think what you meant to ask was, "if I install Ubuntu and choose format hard drive, will I lose all my data". The answer is of course YES. You can if you wish investigate ways to modify partitions to keep both operating systems and boot into either, but I discourage this.

If you are an existing Windows user without a lot of technical expertise, I highly recommend that you investigate the third option: install Ubuntu in a file on your Windows file system:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InstallerForWindows

Good luck!

@_R_|\/|_@_G_E_|)_|)_0|\|
May 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks a lot for clarrifyin that! Oh and about that hard DISK thing. Typo. I meant hard drive! :lolflag: