PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Google Earth - Non Event

hundred1906
May 26th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Installed GoogleEarth via Synaptic but where is it?

Appears to install correctly and there are various files installed. But how do I start it up. I was expecting a new entry on the Applications bar - say under accessories but can find nothing.

Hardy Heron.

hal8000
May 26th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Installed GoogleEarth via Synaptic but where is it?

Appears to install correctly and there are various files installed. But how do I start it up. I was expecting a new entry on the Applications bar - say under accessories but can find nothing.

Hardy Heron.

No, my friend, if you look at Synaptics description:
"
This utility makes it possible to build your own personal Debian package of Google Earth. The packaging itself is Free Software, but the Google Earth program is governed by the copyright holder (Google), so you may be limited as to what you can do with the resulting package (i.e. no redistribution, etc). This package will simply help you create the package--it is your responsibility to use the resulting package responsibly."

The package allows you to build a debian package, thats all.

I'm using Hardy Heron myself so decided to install. Point your browser at
the following link:
http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

Download the file to your desktop. Open a terminal and type

cd Desktop
chmod a+x GoogleEarthLinux.bin

this allows you to install it so type
./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

(assuming your terminal is still at ~/Desktop)
The packge will install and you have a launcher on the desktop, you can add it your menu just by creating a new launcher.

Hope that helps.

hundred1906
May 26th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Stupid me. Thanks, your suggestion worked. I will have to look more carefully next time but still would not have worked out the command sequence needed.

raymondvillain
June 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM
No, my friend, if you look at Synaptics description:
"
This utility makes it possible to build your own personal Debian package of Google Earth. The packaging itself is Free Software, but the Google Earth program is governed by the copyright holder (Google), so you may be limited as to what you can do with the resulting package (i.e. no redistribution, etc). This package will simply help you create the package--it is your responsibility to use the resulting package responsibly."

The package allows you to build a debian package, thats all.

I'm using Hardy Heron myself so decided to install. Point your browser at
the following link:
http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

Download the file to your desktop. Open a terminal and type

cd Desktop
chmod a+x GoogleEarthLinux.bin

this allows you to install it so type
./GoogleEarthLinux.bin

(assuming your terminal is still at ~/Desktop)
The packge will install and you have a launcher on the desktop, you can add it your menu just by creating a new launcher.

Hope that helps.

I did the same thing as hundred1906. If I follow your instructions, will I be using the package I installed from the synaptics menu, or will I be installing Google Earth from the Google website?