PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help a newbie out please

TheAJKMan
May 26th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I think I'm running in daft mode at the moment, please let me explain. I'm pretty much a newbie at linux as a whole. Installed Ubuntu 7.10 and managed to get the net connection thing going okay. Now, to the problem at hand, I'm trying to update my Firefox from 2.0.0.6 to 2.0.0.14

Here's what I've managed to do so far, and where I'm now stuck. I d/l the linux tar.gz from the mozilla.com site, extracted it and now have no idea how to get it installed/running. What I've read on the web has really just confused me totally so I have no idea as to how to actually proceed. I have no real idea how to use the package manager(Synaptec) or how to compile packages, so don't know if that is the problem. THe readme.txt file just says to go to a url on the mozilla site.

If it will help, I'm presuming that the installation was the default one. Otherwise, if this is the wrong place, would some please point me in the right direction.

iaculallad
May 26th, 2008, 08:07 AM
Just use the ever-powerful apt-get utility to do the job for you:

Code:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox

Or you could use the Synaptics Package Manager. Navigate through System->Administration->Synaptics Package Manager and search for firefox.

TheAJKMan
May 26th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Thanks for that quick reply. Have some d/l going at the moment for php stuff, which I'm assuming from the error message I got influences the firefox update/installation process. Will wait for that to finish and retry then. Will let you know how it goes. Wanting to try and learn something else new, as if trying to learn and get to grips with linux wasn't enough ;)

TheAJKMan
May 26th, 2008, 09:17 AM
okay, the version displayed in Firefox is now 2.0.0.7, but on the site it's shown to be 2.0.0.14, the above described method has not updated it to that version. What now? How do I get it to install version 2.0.0.14?

Thanks guys in advance :)

iaculallad
May 26th, 2008, 09:24 AM
okay, the version displayed in Firefox is now 2.0.0.7, but on the site it's shown to be 2.0.0.14, the above described method has not updated it to that version. What now? How do I get it to install version 2.0.0.14?

Thanks guys in advance :)

Once you input the command:

Code:

sudo apt-get install firefox
sudo apt-get upgrade

TheAJKMan
May 26th, 2008, 09:29 AM
As soon as I've type in the "sudo apt-get install firefox" command in the terminal window, this is what it looks like,and as far as I understand it, nothing has been changed/updated.

theajkman@theajkman-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install firefox
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
firefox is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
theajkman@theajkman-desktop:~$

When I go to Help -> About in firefox it shows version as being 2.0.0.6 now :(

iaculallad
May 26th, 2008, 09:34 AM
As soon as I've type in the "sudo apt-get install firefox" command in the terminal window, this is what it looks like,and as far as I understand it, nothing has been changed/updated.

Building dependency tree

When I go to Help -> About in firefox it shows version as being 2.0.0.6 now :(

Code:

sudo apt-get upgrade

Or simply open up firefox, Click on Help->Check for Updates. That could do the update.

TheAJKMan
May 26th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Okay, I typed in both those commands and still no upgrade. :( Here is what was said each time, and this was done when Firefox was closed altogether.

theajkman@theajkman-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree

Building dependency tree

Would it help if I rebooted my machine and tried again?

iaculallad
May 26th, 2008, 09:55 AM
If you want the latest version of firefox (Beta I suppose), install it using:

Code:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox-3.0

TheAJKMan
May 26th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Sorry, forgot to mention that the Firefox-Help-Check for Updates button is greyed out. Don't want to mess around with Beta's just yet, wanna get the hang of installing/updating software first, then will mess with Beta's and RC type software :)

TheAJKMan
May 26th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Ok, seems that the issue has been resolved now. Tired it again after finishing d/l Thunderbird and it suddenly worked fine. Am now up to date :)

iaculallad, thanks for your patient helping out of a newb, it is much appreciated :)

oldos2er
May 26th, 2008, 06:18 PM
http://monkeyblog.org/ubuntu/installing/

TheAJKMan
May 30th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks oldos2er, only just seen your reply to this query of mine, have bookmarked the page for further reading.