PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Second Time Is The Charm

CrazyCanuck
May 26th, 2008, 05:40 AM
Hello everyone.

I had installed Hardy earlier this day, and had attempted to download the patches to 'finalize' the OS install. I had made a silly mistake of selecting the wrong keyboard layout. This has been fixed.

However.

When I attempted to install the patches, things went awry. The download patch manager downloaded the patches, then encountered an error within the "available" file located in:

/var/lib/dpkg/available

There was a duplicate entry found within this file. I had a terrible time attempting to edit this file to remove the duplicate entry. Patches never installed properly once they were downloaded locally to my machine. I ended up scrapping my first attempt at installing Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy edition.

On to my second installation.

I chose the correct keyboard layout (USA), then proceeded to go to the Update Manager, and downloaded AND installed all necessary patches.

A HUGE hooray! I am now going to install a few packages that interests me, and perhaps not look back at using an x86-based OS, and remain an Ubuntu user. I may end up reclaiming my entire 250 gig hdd for Ubuntu.

YAY I need to reboot now. Wish me luck. I shall return with further reports on my progress.

CC

CrazyCanuck
May 26th, 2008, 05:52 AM
WOOT!

Ok, all done. My patches / updates downloaded locally and installed flawlessly. I wonder, would a congested server cause something like this to happen? This time around, I got no duplicate entry error, nothing. Patches download, then installed as they should have done. Interesting, and I resolved my installation issues (with the help of a few good people) and am now on my way.

Thanks to all that helped me.

CC