PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New plugins for Compiz

Rukaru
May 26th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I already have compiz on my Hardy Heron, but I want to get some of the new plug ins, especially snow and flying wondows. Is there a way to do this without installing a whole new version of compiz? And would there be any risks here?

sharks
May 26th, 2008, 05:33 AM
This will help u:
http://members.cox.net/mushroomlake/Compiz.html

Rukaru
May 26th, 2008, 05:35 AM
This will help u:
http://members.cox.net/mushroomlake/Compiz.html

I'd rather not go there. According to WOT, that site might have security issues.

Rukaru
May 26th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Isn't there a way I can get these plugins from synaptic?

perce
May 26th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Install compizconfig-settings-manager

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

That should allow you to configure the plugins.

ZabiGG
May 26th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Since you're not actually downloading anything from the site, but merely following the instructions. There are no real security issues, per se. However, the instructions are based on the Gutsy version instead of Hardy and might take some tweaking, since some features of Compiz have changed since then.

This link will lead you to the Compiz Fusion Forum. It appears to be quite comprehensive.

http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/

Cheers,

Z.

Rukaru
May 26th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Install compizconfig-settings-manager

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

That should allow you to configure the plugins.

That can give me the option of using those plug-ins? I am already able to configure all the older plugins (not that old) that come with compiz like desktop cube....all those animations, effects, window management, utility, etc. So do I already have what you were just talking about?

ZabiGG
May 26th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Once installed, the settings manager will provide you with a graphic interface to manage compiz stuff. You might need to install some plug-ins manually, but everything is clearly documented on the Compiz forum linked above.

Rukaru
May 26th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Once installed, the settings manager will provide you with a graphic interface to manage compiz stuff. You might need to install some plug-ins manually, but everything is clearly documented on the Compiz forum linked above.

But I think I have that...I have what i just described to you. Isn't that it? Didn't I get that when I installed compiz?

ZabiGG
May 26th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Maybe you should start with the basics and read the Compiz user guide? That would probably answer all your questions.

But if you just need a quick fix, it would take more time to explain it all to you in detail here and find out the specifics of your setup than the 10 minutes it will take you to read the guide... so I'll pass that puck along to someone else... lol

Cheers, :)

Z.

perce
May 26th, 2008, 07:01 AM
That can give me the option of using those plug-ins? I am already able to configure all the older plugins (not that old) that come with compiz like desktop cube....all those animations, effects, window management, utility, etc. So do I already have what you were just talking about?

If you have a program which allows you to configure all plugins, then either you already have compizconfig-settings-manager or you have someting equivalent, so my "solution" won't help you.

Rukaru
May 26th, 2008, 07:18 AM
If you have a program which allows you to configure all plugins, then either you already have compizconfig-settings-manager or you have someting equivalent, so my "solution" won't help you.

Obviously not all plug-ins...maybe about 30 different ones under categories like effects, window management, utility, etc. I really don't think it's some other program, since all I did was install compiz with add/remove programs. I'm pretty sure it's compiz settings manager.

kaboodle_fish
May 27th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I already have compiz on my Hardy Heron, but I want to get some of the new plug ins, especially snow and flying wondows. Is there a way to do this without installing a whole new version of compiz? And would there be any risks here?

Follow the instructions in this thread on the compiz-fusion forums

http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?p=56851

I did and now I have little fishes inside the cube