PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a program that simulates...

Jordanwb
May 25th, 2008, 11:31 PM
..Electronic Circuits. I'm basically looking for a program where I can drag and drop electronics components onto a work area, connect them up and see what they do without frying anything in the real world.

uraldinho
May 25th, 2008, 11:52 PM
check the repositories. I tried Klogic and KSimus in KDE once. I wasn't too impressed, but they might have improved over the years.

Jordanwb
May 26th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I did a Description search in Synpatec for Electronics and I found KTechLab. It didn't add itself to the Applications menu but I can run the ktechlab command and kick start it that way. I'll give it a try. I'll try those as well.

eldragon
May 26th, 2008, 12:10 AM
you are looking for spice.
under linux, this is command lineish. it sucks.

i resorted to using the orcad suite under a winxp install in virtualbox.

i hate the damn software, cadence, their prices, and...their lack of UI enhancement..

thats for analogue stuff.
for digital...well..hmmm. dont know.

Jordanwb
May 26th, 2008, 01:06 AM
If Spice sucks why'd you suggest it?

uraldinho
May 26th, 2008, 01:13 AM
you are looking for spice.

wow.. i can't believe it's been 10 years since the last time I used it. At the time it was Unix only application, I presume it would work pretty well in linux, if ported properly. I hated it too, it never did what I wanted it to do, not that there was anything wrong with the program itself, it's just that I was useless.

Google tells me that there is a GPL SPICE project and it's called geda.
http://www.geda.seul.org/
http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/SPICE/intro.html

I think there are other forks/clones for linux. google is your friend here.

for digital...well..hmmm. dont know.

implement your own functions in Matlab :lolflag: ???

For Matlab I use octave both in windows and in linux. I don't use all the features of Matlab, and octave has been enough for me.

I'm actually not joking here. Matlab is a great simulation environment.

NovaAesa
May 26th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I've been in this situation recently (I had to do an electrical engineering subject for my software engineering degree) and I couldn't find any viable Linux alternative. The best I could manage was to run Multisim in XP (running in VBox). Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet. ;(