PDA

View Full Version : Read MSN cache file using Linux??

Kingy_0
May 25th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone I'm new to using linux, and have found out that when I copy the files from MSN cache in the \Temp directory I can read the files in my linux partition. Any reason why I can see these files in linux but not under Windows?

Seems a silly/weird question I know but I'm curious as to how Ubuntu can do this.

Ub1476
May 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Maybe Windows has marked them as hidden, but Ubuntu has no special association with the files, therefore treats them as normal files.

fatality_uk
May 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
When you say "see" them, do you mean you can read them with a text editor? As far as I know, MSN cache files are text files, and as such can be read with gedit!

Kingy_0
May 25th, 2008, 09:42 PM
The funny thing is that, the files I can view are image files.
I'll check to find some text files from the cache.

Kingy_0
May 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Maybe Windows has marked them as hidden, but Ubuntu has no special association with the files, therefore treats them as normal files.
Can I ask how does Windows make these files hidden? Is it to do with the file extension or something else?

(btw thanks everyone for the really quick replies :-D)

Joeb454
May 25th, 2008, 11:08 PM
I have no idea how Windows makes them hidden, I think it's some sort of file option (not like Linux - which edit's the filename).

Whereas if you ever view a hidden Linux file in Windows, you'll see it clear as day (say the file is called myfile.txt and it was hidden in Linux, you would see it in Windows as ".myfile.txt")

Hope this clears something up at least ;)

freebeer
May 26th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Back in my DOS days, we used to set the hidden file attribute bit to hide/unhide files. The attrib command is what we used (you can also change the archive bit, the read/write bit, etc.) (it's been a while). :D I'm guessing Windows would do the same.

Kingy_0
May 26th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks it has helped clear things up a bit.

I'll read into it some more, thanks for being patient when the question kind of digressed into Windows.

(btw does anyone know any web links that give a full explanation of how things are laid out in linux? Like the the directories and stuff?)

Thanks again!:)