PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Open Office 3.0 help needed

saitekx50
May 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
ok so I just uninstalled openoffice that comes with ubuntu 8.04. Now I want to install the new openoffice 3.0 How can I do that. I have downloaded all the deb files and I dont know which to install. Please help.

Thanks in advance

Saitekx50

damis648
May 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM
All you will need is this file: download it first. http://openoffice.bouncer.osuosl.org/?product=OpenOffice.org&os=linuxinteldeb&lang=en-US&version=3.0.0beta

forestpixie
May 25th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Once you have extracted ti - navigate to the DEBS folder in a terminal and do

sudo dpkg -i *

Unless it's changed in the last few weeks it won't give you a menu item - I use a launcher to /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice

saitekx50
May 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM
still not working I just want to use the writer. I have installed it in windows. could you please tell me step by step. Also should I install the windows version using wine

forestpixie
May 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM
HAve you downloaded the linux version or the windows version - I have no idea if the windows version will work through wine.

If you've downloaded the linux version - I assume it's downloaded to your desktop - if it hasn't you need to find where it is .

Extract the tar.gz where it is - I'm going to assume that it's on your desktop.

Open a terminal and change to the desktop

cd Desktop

Now change to the openoffice directory - you can use the tab key to fill in the name, mine is called BEA300_m2_native_packed-2_en-US.9301 - if yours is different change the name - inside that is a folder called DEBS

cd BEA300_m2_native_packed-2_en-US.9301
cd DEBS

if you do a dir now you should have a bunch of files ending in .deb - now run the command

sudo dpkg -i *
That should install it to /opt/openoffice.org3

You can run it from there. I assume you know that oo3 is in beta still and could chnage or not be working properly.

some1l8
May 26th, 2008, 12:42 AM
still in beta stage. if you're not an expert, better waiting for final release