PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] HP Pavilion N5270 Laptop install

sbennettgso
May 25th, 2008, 07:40 PM
I've been having issues getting Xubuntu installed on a Pavilion N5270 laptop. It seems like it's not properly reading the CD. I'm using the alternate install CD, and when I run the Check CD Option, I get CRC errors. But they're not at the same point all the time. And when I check the CD using the same method on other computers it comes back OK.

I don't know if it matters, but the 5270 has a DVD drive, and I'm attempting to use a CD-ROM to install. Could this be my problem? I wouldn't normally think so, but at this point it seems anything's possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

dstew
May 25th, 2008, 08:17 PM
It sounds like your DVD drive is having problems reading the CD-ROM. There could be a number of reasons for this. It could be the CD-ROM is not a good fit for the particular DVD drive you have, maybe it is a little out-of-round and vibrates. A DVD drive has higher tolerances than a CD-ROM drive, so that might cause some problems. You might try another CD-R and burn again. Use high-quality media, burn at a slow speed. But, in general, a DVD drive should be able to read a CD-ROM.

saitekx50
May 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM
you might want to try using ubuntu 8.04. I liked ubuntu better, but thats just me:popcorn:

Pumalite
May 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Clean the lens in your burner as another possibility.

sbennettgso
May 26th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks for all the replies here. I've tried a few CD-ROMs, and all of them give me the same sort of result (though as I noted in my original post the CRC errors seem to come at different times during the check. I'll try burning onto a DVD-ROM to see if I get the same kind of problems.

I'll also see if I can clean the burner head, that might be an issue (although to me that's less likely as I've tried the CD test on multiple computers with multiple burned CDs and this laptop is the only one I've seen errors on).

If anyone else has more info, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Scott

sbennettgso
May 28th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I burned a DVD of the ISO image yesterday, and using that to install Xubuntu seemed to work. So I guess it's an issue with either my burner or the DVD on my laptop.

Thanks,
Scott