PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fax?

newbreed
May 25th, 2008, 06:56 PM
is there a apt that I can use to fax straight from a file on my system? in other words, can I fax from my system with out a fax machine but to a fax number?

jeffus_il
May 25th, 2008, 07:19 PM
You need a modem, drivers for a modem , install the efax and efax-gtk packages and you can set up a printer in cups which will send any document to the fax printer and a a popup window will ask you for the fax number to dial, which can also be stored in the efax phonebook.

newbreed
May 26th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Thanks jeffus_il.. :guitar:

samaricsm
May 8th, 2009, 05:20 PM
You need a modem, drivers for a modem , install the efax and efax-gtk packages and you can set up a printer in cups which will send any document to the fax printer and a a popup window will ask you for the fax number to dial, which can also be stored in the efax phonebook.

Thanks for the advice. I tried it, but it did not work.

I installed efax and efax-gtk. I did not see any new printers to choose from after the installation of efax and efax-gtk. I restarted OpenOffice. I am printing to the "fax" of the HP OfficeJet 5610 All-in-One that is attached to the computer. It just ate the fax. It did not ask me for a number to dial, nor did it print the file. The file is sitting in the print queue with a status of "processing".

Do I need to reinstall the HP, now that efax and efax-gtk have been installed?

Thanks.

cariboo
May 8th, 2009, 05:44 PM
Have you got your modem in your computer configured and working? can you dial out? Or are you trying to use the fax built into your printer?

samaricsm
May 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I am trying to fax an open office document. Until I installed efax, the only thing that claimed to be fax compliant was the printer. That seemed logical. I would print to the fax and it would dial out. However, it has never asked me for the modem, or a phone number. I just thought it would use the default modem that is built into the machine.

The only software that I have found that admits I have a modem is the network panel, that then wants to use my modem to gain access to an ISP. So, I have not tested the modem as a separate entity.

None of the books that I have on Ubuntu wish to admit the modem is part of the hardware.

I hoped that answered your questions. Thanks for trying to help.