PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a media player with the following traits?

Luke has no name
May 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM
--Navigable Library/Search function
--Is able to use TRULY global hotkeys (such as my laptop media keys, or some CTRL+ALT combo)

Amarok has the first, RythymBox has the second, neither have both. Winamp has both, but I'd like to use a Linux native app if possible. any suggestions?

corney91
May 25th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I believe Exaile has both. IIRC global hotkeys is a plugin.
Also gmusicbrowser has both, although I think the hotkeys take a little effort to set up

RiceMonster
May 25th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Try Exaile. It works with the media keys on my laptop. I'm not sure what you mean by "Navigable Library". I'm guessing you mean you don't have to view it in one big messy list? If so, then yes it does, and it has a search function for the library too.

Edit: Yep, you view the library in Exaile just like you do in Amarok.

urukrama
May 25th, 2008, 06:28 PM
A lot of audio players can also be controlled from the command line (see 'man name of the player' for the details). If you assign a keyboard shortcut to such commands you have global hotkeys.

Luke has no name
May 25th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Exaile is really awesome. It's like amarok, but with better hotkeys (And I just prefer the layout better.)

It still doesn't have TRULY global hotkeys. When I'm in a fullscreen app, my hotkeys stop working.

Elisa is confusing at first, and I don't have patience.

Xzallion
May 25th, 2008, 08:34 PM
--Is able to use TRULY global hotkeys (such as my laptop media keys, or some CTRL+ALT combo)

Amarok has the first, RythymBox has the second, neither have both. Winamp has both, but I'd like to use a Linux native app if possible. any suggestions?

I'm not sure under Ubuntu, but in Kubuntu Amarok has global hotkeys and my keyboards media keys work. Can you assign your laptops media keys to any command or do they currently do anything? It may be a problem with Ubuntu not recognizing them instead of the media player itself.

MyR
July 23rd, 2008, 06:33 PM

amarok has both.

if you're using gnome:
tools > script manager > get more scripts
install gnome multimedia keys

peace

justin whitaker
July 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Exaile and Amarok both do this. Can Banshee do this by plugin?

visionaire
July 23rd, 2008, 08:04 PM
i use global keys in banshee, mostly crl+alt+P to pause and play

chris4585
July 24th, 2008, 04:27 AM
quodlibet is the best. the end.

zachtib
July 24th, 2008, 04:31 AM
Banshee 1.0 worked OOTB with my laptop's media hotkeys, and my library is searchable and browseable

EDIT: It even does video

TheAlmightyCthulhu
July 24th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Banshee is awesome, but the one in Ubuntu's repo is ancient, get the one from GetDeb.net, it does audio and video playlisting, album arts, and Last.FM. B-) :guitar: