PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem installing on Windows XP Media Center PC

CarlWalters
May 25th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hi,

I successfully installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my (previously) Windows Vista Dell Laptop, and was so impressed with it that I thought I'd install it on my desktop too. My Desktop is another Dell machine running Windows XP media Centre. I started the install by booting from the Ubuntu CD, all was going well until I got to the disk partition section. The screen showed that I could choose to the first option which was to let it partition automatically. The screen said that the Windows partition would have about 37GB and the Ubuntu partition about 32GB. This sounded fine so I clicked OK. Then I get a partition "Too Small" message.

I'm a bit confused as I thought 32GB would be enough. I don't wan to wipe my Windows partition just yet.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

Carl

zvacet
May 25th, 2008, 06:04 PM
You can always look here (http://psychocats.s465.sureserver.com/ubuntu/installing) to see what are yours partition options.I will go for manual way.it is not that hard as you may think.Just read carefully guide on this link and you will be fine.

CarlWalters
May 26th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Well I had a look at this link but it doesn't really answer my problem I don't think. I uderstand the install process up to the Partitioning "Guided resize and use freed space" option which I want to use. It shows that there should be 30BG+ for Ubuntu. But when I select this option and click forward it thinks for a while and then comes up with a partition "Too Small" error message.