PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Gnome Vs KDE and xfice

Vrekk
May 25th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Hey I am kinda new to Ubuntu. I have been using it for about 5 mounts now. Well i have used programs that run kde not Gnome, and am wondering what the advanatces and disavdances are between them. Also is there a way i can like "test run" Kde to see if i like it?

ShanghaiTeej
May 25th, 2008, 05:48 AM
This is a very loaded question with multiple different threads dedicated to it that are already on the forum. But here is a simple answer to the question:

There is really no real disadvantage to running a QT (KDE) application on a Gnome system. I use Ktorrent and amarok on my Gnome system and love both programs dearly. Some people don't like installing KDE applications is because of all the libraries that get installed as dependencies. But if your hard drive is fairly big, you really don't have to worry about it. Also, some people may like their desktops to look streamlined, with the same look. As of now, there is no easy way to make qt applications look exactly Gnomish, but if you search the forums hard enough, you may find a way.

To test run KDE, you can search for Kubuntu in Synaptic. That is probably the easiest way to test drive KDE. But beware, your menus will be stuffed with tons of software. Some people us a commandline tool called "aptitutude" to install programs that they may want to uninstall later because aptitude remembers all the dependencies installed and will uninstall all of them.

Keep looking on the boards because my answer is not the most complete. I'm sure someone has explained it 23 times in more detail on other threads.

But regardless,

Happy Ubunting!