PDA

View Full Version : Books on C/C++ for scientific ?

Stochastics
May 25th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Hi,

I want to know if anyone out there is aware of a book that teach C/C++ in a scientific point of view...any suggestions ?

Thanks !

amingv
May 25th, 2008, 04:49 AM
Science is huge, my friend.

Do you mean a point of view as a computer scientist, mathematician, biologist, physicist or another ramification?

LaRoza
May 25th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Hi,

I want to know if anyone out there is aware of a book that teach C/C++ in a scientific point of view...any suggestions ?

Thanks !
Probably not.

C and C++ are two different languages and are the same language no matter how they are used.

You might want to look into specific libraries or tools for whatever part of science you need. (For C, get K&R after using online tutorials to get the basics)

Stochastics
May 25th, 2008, 04:51 AM
for physics mainly :).

amingv
May 25th, 2008, 05:14 AM
I guess your best bet would be to google "computational physics" (I did a quick search and found many examples applied to C, others are language independent; they will not teach you the language itself, though)
You may also like to check the GSL (GNU Scientific Library). http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/

Is that what you're looking for?

rye_
May 25th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I remember in the engineering library from uni that there were one or two very comprehensive c++ books on algorithms for practical scientific problems. So certainly there are books out there, though unfortunately I can't find the title/ author of the book I have in mind (though I can point you to the book shelve it sits on :))

Edit: I should also mention that using C++ looked live a pain in the *donkey*, maybe python could be used instead?

Ryan

Can+~
May 25th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Don't look for books in the current language you're using, the best books are which study the algorithms without relating it with a single language; most likely presented in pseudo code. Don't focus on the language, focus on the algorithms.

Stochastics
May 26th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Hi everyone,

I've made my duties :)
The following are books on C/C++ for engineers/scientists in mind. They tend to focus more on scientific task for learning the language.

Introducing C++ for Scientists, Engineers and Mathematicians
Derek Capper

A First Course in Computational Physics and Object-Oriented Programming with C++ (Hardcover)
David Yevick

Scientific and Engineering C++: An Introduction with Advanced Techniques and Examples (Paperback)
John J. Barton

C++ and Object-oriented Numeric Computing for Scientists and Engineers (Hardcover)
Daoqi Yang

C++ Toolkit for Engineers and Scientists (Paperback)
James T. Smith

C Programming: The Essentials for Engineers and Scientists (Undergraduate Texts in Computer Science) (Hardcover)
David R. Brooks

Introduction to C++ for Engineers and Scientists (Prentice Hall Modular Series for Engineering) (Paperback)
D. M. Etter

Unfortunately, i don't have found a book on physics/python yet...still looking :).

Thanks for all the reply

Stochastics