PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed Drive Ubuntu my savior but now what

Apresmode
May 25th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I have a problem...maybe. While using Windows, my computer froze. I turned it off and on with the power switch, but my drive would not load up. It turns out is is failed. The computer is under warantee so I got a new drive, but it is blank...there is no OS or anything on it. I've used Ubuntu from a passport HD (that's how I am talkig to you now), but it is a little scary. I don't know how good it is to be doing this, and have been thinking about installing Ubuntu into the new and blank HD.

My question is: Will I run into problems if I install Ubuntu and then Windows later (after I receive the install disks)? and would those potential problems be easily fixed? My only other choice is to continue to use the USB Drive with Ubuntu on it. Is this a better choice? I know this is a lot to look at, but any responses would be appreciated.

Pumalite
May 25th, 2008, 12:29 AM
Better install Windows first, Ubuntu last.

gsiliceo
May 25th, 2008, 12:30 AM
If you could tell me what model of pc or motherboard you have i can investigate any problems you might encounter.
If you install ubuntu and then windows, ubuntu still will be there but it will take some efort to fix the dual boot, that means, windows will eliminate your option to boot into ubuntu.
I'd recommend installing ubuntu if it supports without problem your hardware, i think it does since you are using it without problems, but install it AFTER you install windows, because ubuntu will create the options for you to boot to both Operating Systems without problems.
:D

mikewhatever
May 25th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Yes, you will. Windows will overwrite Grub from the MBR during its installation. The issue is easily fixed, see the link below.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows?action=show&redirect=RecoverGrub

Apresmode
May 26th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone. I think I will continnue to run it on my flash drive until I get some Windows disks and then do a dual boot. I appreciate the responses.