PDA

View Full Version : I Want Answers

MaindotC
May 25th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I just got my extremely simplistic Coby MP3 Player Clip. I figured out how to move songs on and off it, so it's been a blessing. HOWEVER, why in the name of whatever do manufacturers still send out those blasted headphones that don't stay in your ears?

Does no one else have this problem??? Headphones that like iPod headphones - you know the ones I mean. They have no headband to hold them in place so not only do they keep falling out of my ears but they don't stay snug enough to give me adequate sound and enclosure from outside interference. Can anyone sympathize with me? Am I the only one that has this problem with free-hanging headphones?

Why do manufactures still ship these blasted wastes of money with their products?? (aside from the fact that they're probably cost-effective).

FuturePilot
May 25th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about. I have that same problem.](*,)

steveneddy
May 25th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I use a Sony set of small headphones on everything and always toss the headphones that come with stuff because they usually sound bad.

The Sony's I use are the stick in your ear style, but they do a really good job of staying put.

ShodanjoDM
May 25th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Don't know about the "why" part, but here's a trick since I found them annoying too:

Run the cable from behind your ear. Snug the earphone, and pull the cable slightly downward to maintain the tension.

Repeat the same procedure for the other ear.

aaaantoine
May 25th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I've tried a few different styles of headphones. By far, my favorite are these ones from Sony:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=11028639&storeId=10151

They feature a great balance of comfort (both ergonomic and lightweight), sound quality and sound isolation (not noise cancellation, though), and only cost $10.

I also like these because they are a collapsable version of the above, except they cost an extra $10 (100% more expensive):
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11039671

Also, I am in full agreement with the OP.

Glucklich
May 25th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Sennheiser is the awnser your looking for Alan. Best sound quality and the phones come with an adaptor for people who find it difficult to get them to stay in the hear. Trust me, you won't regret getting one of those.

Edit: I used two pairs of the Sony that Steven was talking, and they didn't last for a year each. Some times it's better to give a little more for the phones to last.

nick09
May 25th, 2008, 12:29 AM
you should get one of the ones that are in-ear type such as skullcandy:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d89/freerideanna/Skullcandy%20Slideshow%201/BUDSRASTAWEB.jpg

Most after market earphones are better.

Joeb454
May 25th, 2008, 12:32 AM
I usually buy some from here http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/751992/Sony-MDR-EX71SL-In-Ear-Headphones/Product.html

Bigtime_Scrub
May 25th, 2008, 12:32 AM
you should get one of the ones that are in-ear type such as skullcandy:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d89/freerideanna/Skullcandy%20Slideshow%201/BUDSRASTAWEB.jpg

Most after market earphones are better.

I also use the SkullCandy ones with my IPod. They work great and run about $35 at Best Buy. (Hope that helps, I dunno if you're from the States or not.)

nick09
May 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I also use the SkullCandy ones with my IPod. They work great and run about $35 at Best Buy. (Hope that helps, I dunno if you're from the States or not.)

I got mine for $30, the smokin' buds black color(from best buy too!).

MaindotC
May 25th, 2008, 12:51 AM
I don't like in-ear because I kind of have this wierd thing with earwax. I'm constantly scrubbing my ears with q-tips because I can't stand the thought of anything getting in my ears and further jamming the earwax in deeper (which may be what q-tips do but it's better than nothing).

Steveneddy - I don't see how those work. They look like the same thing!

aaaantoine good suggestion but I'm a little concerned about them making noise around others because they don't enclose my ears.

nick09 no f'ing way per my reasoning above.

Gluck I'll check out the Sennheisers.

I'm not too thrilled about laying down some dough for sleek headphones. I have a broken pair of these (http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Logitech%20980376-0403%20Headphones:1992423664;_ylt=AsbxDpwb1xSPtgjX _XKxtMVhMI8C;_ylu=X3oDMTBuMjhlNG1sBF9zAzU3NjkwMzU3 BGx0AzQEc2VjA3Ny?clink=dmss//ctx=sc:cheadphone,c:cheadphone,mid:59,pid:19924236 64,pdid:59,pos:7) which I've decided to resume using. The blasted things snap really easily but if I put it on my head just right I can even run and jump and they don't dislodge. Kinda look like a moron walking around w/ a mic on it too but I got them for $5 on ebay.

ShodanjoDM I'm still trying your suggestion - I must have it wrong because by putting them behind my ears I'm actually putting upward tension on them not downward. I'll keep at it. I just realize I'm really screwed b/c the headset jack for the Coby Clip only takes 2.5 mm so I'm stuck w/ the crappy headphones - can't use my Logitech's.

*sigh*

LaRoza
May 25th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I use ear buds (I don't know which ones, they are about $12 at Radioshack) and they stay in my ears fine. In fact, if the wire gets caught on something and I walk away, they are more likely to be unplugged than come out of my ears.

MaindotC
May 25th, 2008, 12:57 AM
ShodanjoDM - I think I got it but it's not working for me. I think my ears are different sizes or something freaky like that. It is snug around my ear but it's not staying snug inside my ear. Bah...you know what befuddles me is watching those ads for iPod and you see people dancing like crazy and I don't see the earphones falling out of their ears. I think it's just me.

Joeb454
May 25th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Then perhaps you're looking for something like these (http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/gb/consumer/cc/_productid_SWS6000_00_GB_CONSUMER/Fashion-Headphones+SWS6000-00) or maybe these (http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/en/gb/consumer/cc/_productid_SHS4701_00_GB_CONSUMER/Earclip-Headphones+SHS4701-00)? :) (both philips.com)

And it's not you - I have the same issue (though I use in-ears now)

LaRoza
May 25th, 2008, 01:02 AM
ShodanjoDM - I think I got it but it's not working for me. I think my ears are different sizes or something freaky like that. It is snug around my ear but it's not staying snug inside my ear. Bah...you know what befuddles me is watching those ads for iPod and you see people dancing like crazy and I don't see the earphones falling out of their ears. I think it's just me.

That is possible. My headphones stay in my ears (without actually going into my ears like some do) and really can't be pulled out (unless I were inverted)

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/4233/cimg0033dr9.th.jpg (http://img186.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cimg0033dr9.jpg)

MaindotC
May 25th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Joeb thanks for the suggestions but I've been through those before. The first ones hurt my ear from prolonged wearing and I would try and bend them to conform but they don't say in my ears and it gets very irritating.

The 2nd link you posted redirects to the main consumer products page. It's not really about finding me a new pair - I'm sticking w/ the blasted ones they sent me unless I can find an adapter to plug in my logitechs - but I just can't believe that manufacturers still send these.

Based on the time it took so many people to respond and the level of detail I'm seeing, I find it hard to believe that manufacturers have not seen much larger-scale complaints.

LightB
May 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I can't stand headphones, I find them unbearable after a little while, esp. when I'm sick. I prefer to just crank it up with regular speakers. I also sound proofed my room.

nick09
May 25th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Joeb thanks for the suggestions but I've been through those before. The first ones hurt my ear from prolonged wearing and I would try and bend them to conform but they don't say in my ears and it gets very irritating.

The 2nd link you posted redirects to the main consumer products page. It's not really about finding me a new pair - I'm sticking w/ the blasted ones they sent me unless I can find an adapter to plug in my logitechs - but I just can't believe that manufacturers still send these.

Based on the time it took so many people to respond and the level of detail I'm seeing, I find it hard to believe that manufacturers have not seen much larger-scale complaints.

What is the jack size for the logitechs?

MaindotC
May 25th, 2008, 03:01 AM
The Logitech headset uses a 3.5 mm - just like a regular audio jack. The Coby uses a 2.5 mm - just like most cell phones and extremely frustrating.

barbedsaber
May 25th, 2008, 08:02 AM
I have to buy those earphones that go around the back of your ear (like kiddie hearing aids) because my ears are a strange shape. I feel your pain.

popch
May 25th, 2008, 08:16 AM
The Logitech headset uses a 3.5 mm - just like a regular audio jack. The Coby uses a 2.5 mm - just like most cell phones and extremely frustrating.

I am quite sure that I have seen adaptor cables or even plugs for this very purpose. If you can solder, you can diy.

nick09
May 25th, 2008, 01:19 PM

I found an adapter:
http://www.amazon.com/EFORCITY-Premium-Universal-Headset-Motorola/dp/B000P9U204/ref=pd_sim_e_img_9

MaindotC
May 25th, 2008, 05:50 PM
@popch I always thought about soldering but those blasted headphone cables are so thin I find them impossible to do anything with them. I had a pair of headphones to test: Before it was stolen, I had an LG VX9800 which is great for storing mp3's. I had a bunch of cheap headsets but they were 2.5 mm for a cell phone and they all were one speaker + one mic integrated into the same cable. One of my electronics professors said the cable going to the mic would function just fine if you could solder a speker to it so I could turn the speaker/mic combo cable into a cable w/ two speakers (aka headphones).

I stripped open the cable and #1 it didn't work when I soldered it and #2 I nearly wrecked the cable b/c it was so thin and weak. I actually think that may be why it didn't work. I'm going to post a new thread about electrical troubleshooting - I appreciate your thoughts if you see it.

Thanks, nick. Nothing I love more than having to spen more money + shipping & handling for a $10 mp3 player but I guess that's how it's going to happen.

popch
May 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I stripped open the cable and #1 it didn't work when I soldered it and #2 I nearly wrecked the cable b/c it was so thin and weak.

That's what I don't recommend. You're bound to ruin your earphones that way.

Buy a male and female of appropriate sizes and some length of shielded audio cable. One shielded pair should suffice since the audio jack only has three leads, anyway. Separately bought cables often are a bit more robust than those attached to earphones. They used to be, anyway, when I last did that kind of thing. Nowadays I just buy the ready assembled adaptor cable or plug.

nick09
May 25th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Thanks, nick. Nothing I love more than having to spen more money + shipping & handling for a $10 mp3 player but I guess that's how it's going to happen.

I found a jack also:
http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Stereo-Jack-2-5mm-Adapter/dp/B0002ZPFAS/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

But the cable would be a better idea.

toupeiro
May 25th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I got a set of these (http://www.bose.com/controller?event=view_product_page_event&product=qc2_headphones_index) from CompUSA when they were within a day or two of closing their doors here for a ridiculously cheap price compared to the sales price. I'll probably never own another set of headphones.

MaindotC
May 25th, 2008, 06:34 PM
Guys it's not really about finding new headphones - I know the direction I want to take with that - it's about determining if I'm the only one w/ problems handling those "hang-loose" headphones that always come w/ media hardware.

As I said, judging by the response I'm surprised that manufacturers continue to send them.

init1
May 25th, 2008, 06:40 PM
My pair of Sony ear buds didn't last a month. My Phillips work fine however, and are probably the nicest I've ever used. I'll never go back to iPod ear buds.

ExpatPaul
May 25th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I use a Sony set of small headphones on everything and always toss the headphones that come with stuff because they usually sound bad.

The Sony's I use are the stick in your ear style, but they do a really good job of staying put.

I used to have a set of those earphones. They are very good indeed, soundwise, and even managed to stay put while cycling to work.

Joeb454
May 25th, 2008, 06:52 PM
I'll give Apple some credit - the headphones I got when I got an iPod Mini a few years back were awful, especially compared to the headphones I got with a 5g iPod (30Gb) Feb 07, which were a massive improvement

markp1989
May 25th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I use ear buds (I don't know which ones, they are about $12 at Radioshack) and they stay in my ears fine. In fact, if the wire gets caught on something and I walk away, they are more likely to be unplugged than come out of my ears.

i have had the same experience with JVC gummy headphones, they stay in fine, sound good, and were cheap. I brought them to replace my ipod head phones, after the wire got snapped when someone tried to mug me, and they have lasted 6 months so far.

ShodanjoDM
May 25th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Sorry to hear that.. Anyway, one of the bad thing about generalization of consumer electronic designs like earphones is they can't be made to fit everyone since not everyone have similar ear shapes.

Once I had a set of "clip-on" earphone, a sporty kind, they say. I bought it since it seems so ergonomic. I was wrong.

I guess sporty earphones aren't made for geeks... For me atleast. :D

LaRoza
May 25th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Guys it's not really about finding new headphones - I know the direction I want to take with that - it's about determining if I'm the only one w/ problems handling those "hang-loose" headphones that always come w/ media hardware.

As I said, judging by the response I'm surprised that manufacturers continue to send them.

I think they come with hardware because the average person now prefers them. They are smaller and most like much cheaper also. Think of them as a cheap gift not part of the hardware. It is entirely possible that they don't work well for your ears.