PDA

View Full Version : [kde] Changing password asterisk symbol in (themed) KDM greeter?

Zorael
May 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I have a screen resolution where the password asterisk at the KDE login screen becomes a big round blob, whereas on the Live CD when the resolution was lower I had a neat little centered dot. I'd like to get that dot, or any other symbol or sign instead of the blob. This is on a Kubuntu 8.04 installation.

I've tinkered around with both theme .xmls and /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc. The themes I have don't seem to define any fonts for the entry field, which was kind of surprising. See the code snippets below for the relevant sections of said themes. I tried adding font="Sazanami Mincho 8" (easy to see if I succeeded) to various tags to see if it accepted it, but I had no luck.

kdmrc has an option to change the standard font for the whole greeter (StdFont), which sadly also targets the user list. Further, it doesn't change the asterisk blob, even when supplying a unicode font. It seems to be theme and font independent?

kdmrc also doesn't seem to listen to the EchoMode setting; it defaults to OneStar and doesn't listen to anything else. I had hoped I could enter another symbol there and have it use it instead (a normal dash would be much preferrable to the current blob), only to find it's ignored.

(circles theme: no font definitions)

<item type="rect">
<normal color="#FF80FF" alpha="0.0"/>
<pos anchor="w" y="50%" width="box" height="box"/>
<box orientation="vertical" xpadding="0" ypadding="0" spacing="10">
<item type="entry" id="user-entry">
<pos anchor="n" x="50%" height="24" width="150"/>
</item>
<item type="entry" id="pw-entry">
<pos anchor="n" x="50%" height="24" width="150"/>
</item>
</box>

(kubuntu userlist theme: no font definitions)

<item type="rect" >
<normal alpha="0.0" color="#cccccc" />
<pos width="box" y="50%" anchor="w" height="box" />
<box xpadding="0" spacing="10" ypadding="0" orientation="vertical" >
<item type="entry" id="user-entry" >
<pos width="130" x="50%" anchor="n" height="21" />
</item>
<item type="entry" id="pw-entry" >
<pos width="130" x="50%" anchor="n" height="21" />
</item>
</box>
</item>

Any ideas? A theme .xml solution would be awesome, but a kdmrc one would do just as well.

Thanks.

Zorael
May 27th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Shameless bump.